Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Backyard Project

aholdren

Supporting Member
South East Ohio
The wife has been wanting our backyard redone so that we would use it, so this is what it was to what it is now.

After some dirt removal

The new stuff

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
That looks great Aaron! Versaloc retaining wall blocks? 85lbs each. Did you do it yourself? If so, this is quite adventurous! That was a decent sized project and appears to be done pretty well! Hard to tell in pictures, but if you have never done this before and did this yourself then I am extremely impressed!

I just went back to look at some more pics. I see you added the brick pavers over top of the cement pad and added a nice roof over top to be able to enjoy it in all weather! Very nice feature!

Did you or they run a tile along the back side of the wall to reduce hydraulic pressure?

Last edited:

huntn2

Hudson, OH
That looks great!

We have some awesone yards, patios, decks, basements, etc. that have been shared on this forum.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

aholdren

Supporting Member
South East Ohio
That looks great Aaron! Versaloc retaining wall blocks? 85lbs each. Did you do it yourself? If so, this is quite adventurous! That was a decent sized project and appears to be done pretty well! Hard to tell in pictures, but if you have never done this before and did this yourself then I am extremely impressed!

I just went back to look at some more pics. I see you added the brick pavers over top of the cement pad and added a nice roof over top to be able to enjoy it in all weather! Very nice feature!

Did you or they run a tile along the back side of the wall to reduce hydraulic pressure?

Hell No!!!! I struggled with Tinker Toys.

As far as the tile on the back side I dont think but Im not sure cause I wasnt here when they were working on it, if so they never mentioned it to me. Not sure if its Versaloc or not.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Hell No!!!! I struggled with Tinker Toys.

As far as the tile on the back side I dont think but Im not sure cause I wasnt here when they were working on it, if so they never mentioned it to me. Not sure if its Versaloc or not.

Cracked me up buddy. You could handle Tinker toys. You are just being humble. I would imagine they threw a tile in there. Wouldn't be the end of the world if they didn't, but would help remove any water from behind the wall to avoid pressure which can push the wall out. This one appears to hold back some soil, but doesn't look like it is an actual load bearing wall. We have seen some projects where you need an engineer to sign off on them prior to building them because the wall is critical to the structural integrity of a foundation for a house. No. Never got any of those bids. I was always too high. If i take on this sort of liability, we are covering our backsides. ha