Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Arrow idea...

runhunter

Normally, I use the 4" arrow wraps from Bohning, and fletch my Beman ICS camo 400's in an Arizona EZ fletch jig. They always come out great. My uncle always tells me "an idle mind is the devil's workshop", so I was reading yesterday and came across a thread related to guys cresting their own arrows with spray paint. To take it a step further, I decided to try and paint an entire arrow white. Using the process they say works, I sanded it, cleaned with acetone, then used 1 coat of automobile primer, 2 coats of Rustoleum white, and 2 coats clear lacquer. I weighed the finished arrow, and compared it to one of my hunting arrows that is already wrapped and fletched. Long story short, the painted arrow, when fletched, turned out to only 5 grains heavier and actually looks pretty good.

I did notice, after I fletched the painted arrow, and removed it from the jig, the paint had rubbed off about 10" down from the nock, where the mouth out the jig clamped close. The arrow was dry, but should I have waited a day or 2 to let it cure before fletching? The fletchings adhered great to the paint, so that's a plus. I'm wondering if the friction created from pulling the arrow out of a Block would wear it off quickly. To be honest, I'm intrigued in the look of an all white arrow, and think it could serve a purpose and be somewhat helpful in a hunting situation. I'm just wondering if anyone has any experience, thoughts, tips, or if it's going to be a lot of extra work, that is really unnecessary. It's what happens on a slow Tuesday night...

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I would definitely let it cure for a couple of days before fletching. I used to do the spray cresting back in the day and learned to let the sit a couple days for the best results.

runhunter

Thanks Jesse.. that's what I figured, I was more concerned with the glue not adhering properly to the paint, so I atleast wanted to fletch one and find out. I was testing it on an arrow that had a crack in it, so I wasn't overly concerned with how it looks. I'll try it again tonight with an arrow I can actually shoot, wait 2 days, fletch it and see what gives. If it happens again, I'll either need a different jig, or just scrap the idea completely.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I know a lot of guys like the Arizona fletching jigs, but I was not much of a fan to be honest. I use a Bitz and love it. They are not cheap, but I get much better quality with one and they'll last longer than you'll be on this earth to fletch arrows. Just something to consider. Check Archery Talk of eBay for used ones.

runhunter

Yea, I've been on the fence about upgrading. The Arizona is what I was taught on, but also agree, the Bitz is much better. I'll take a peek on AT/Ebay. If you guys see a hunter roaming around Southern OH this fall, with a quiver full of white arrows, you'll know it's me