Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

AR10 in 243 or 6.5 CM?

I'm interested in buying a complete upper and lower in an AR10. The caliber...well, I prefer 243, but I'm having a hard time finding the uppers. I'm finding 6.5 Creedmoor all over the place. From what I've seen in hunting videos, both calibers are very similar in knock down power.

It's so flat around here, I have to consider bullet skips or otherwise I'd have a 308. I'm a big fan of having plenty of rifle and if I lived in hill country it wouldn't be an issue. So, therefore my choices in the above mentioned calibers. I'm open to suggestions to other calibers with regards to similar killing power and ballistics.

What would make you choose one over the other? :unsure:
(243 vs 6.5 CM) Your experiences are appreciated.

Bowhunter57

Never mind... I made my choice and I'm very happy with it! :cool:

AR-10 in 243 (custom build) with a 22" barrel. I'm ordering brass, bullets and a couple of 10 rd. magazines. Then I'll be reloading, going to the range and back out to put a dent in the coyote population. :sneaky:

Bowhunter57

Attachments

• AR10 1.jpg
    AR10 1.jpg
    262.4 KB · Views: 542
  • AR10 2.jpg
    AR10 2.jpg
    274.6 KB · Views: 568

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Good choice, I’m a fan of the hornady Vmax in 58 grain. If your gun likes that round it’ll flat out destroy what your shooting at in the coyote and smaller varmints.
I shoot a .243 in a Ruger M77 with that round and love em.

Reactions: Bowhunter57
For coyotes and groundhogs the .243 is perfect. If you wanted to shoot paper long range or deer hunt the 6.5 is the way to go. If you wanted a SHTF rifle the .308 fills that bill.
I intend to purchase a 308 upper in a carbine, as a SHTF rifle...and a few beta mags. :cool:

"J",
This rifle likes the Hornady 75 gr. V-Max and has destroyed a few coyotes by its' previous owner. :sneaky:

Bowhunter57