Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Anyone using a Patternmaster Code Black, for waterfowl?

I'm getting back into goose hunting this fall. I do more field hunts and pass shooting than anything over decoys. So, I prefer a tighter patterning choke tube for longer shots...out to 50+ yards. I've been reading some decent reviews on the Patternmaster Code Black extended choke tube.
I own a Patternmaster designed for buckshot, to use for coyotes. I have been very impressed with the patterns it produces, at longer distances. :cool:

What are your experiences with this choke tube?
Thank you, Bowhunter57

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
A pattermaster, kicks, carlson, etc are all high end choke tubes that will give you good results. They all offer varying levels of constriction. The difference between them (and what I choose as my deciding factor) is HOW they restrict the shot string. Patternmaster and Kicks chokes are designed to “strip” the plastic wad as it leaves the muzzle, thereby shortening the shot string. This means your target gets hit by more pellets at one time... obviously creating a “harder” hit and hopefully less cripples. This will be especially important shooting at longer ranges. I have been shooting a Kicks High Flyer in full choke for over ten years, and I firmly believe in the wad-stripping theory for effectiveness. I’ve also never heard anything negative about patternmaster chokes, so I don’t think you can go wrong with either one. I will say this, “pass shooting” at 50 yards is pretty rare when you’re field hunting for geese. If you’re where they want to be, most shots are less than 20 yards with a good decoy and calling setup.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I have one and it's the best upgrade I've made to my hunting equipment. Do yourself a favor and pattern 4-5 different types of shells as they'll vary greatly.
In my experience, the wad-stripping chokes do not like loads that are in excess of 1500 fps. Higher speed tends to result in patterns opening up big time. Speed is not your friend... Your lead and swing are.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I'd put Carharts on and stand with my back to you at 40 yards and let you shoot me with Remington Hyper. Even if you hit me, it wouldn't penetrate. It was laughable how bad that shell patterned

mike hunt

I have them for a few guns, I don't use them. I get better patterns from a modified or improved cylinder tube. My kid shoots Hyper Sonics out of my old M1 Super 90, they really pattern nice out of that gun

I'd put Carharts on and stand with my back to you at 40 yards and let you shoot me with Remington Hyper. Even if you hit me, it wouldn't penetrate. It was laughable how bad that shell patterned
I've heard a lot of bad reviews about that ammo. (Hypersonic Steel) They're running it too fast. :rolleyes:
Most choke tubes pattern best with loads under 1500 fps. (y) Plus, most choke tube companies advertise their chokes to be used with ammo speeds that are less than 1500 fps.

Bowhunter57