Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Anyone use an AR-10 in 243?

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
I'm considering building an AR-10, in 243, for coyote hunting. I'd like to hear from anyone that owns one and how they like it.
Pros and Cons are appreciated with this caliber vs. another caliber.

Thanks, Bowhunter57
I don’t shoot the .243 in an AR platform but I do in a bolt action. That’s my go too for sub deer size critters. My fishing buddies hunting buddy uses that in the AR platform. He loves it and knocks me down with his night vision on a regular basis. He uses the same 58 grain ballistic tip hornady I use with good results on coyotes. Mine will split a groundhog in half. Haven’t hit a coyote yet but his holes are impressive with the ones he’s killed.
57302504-68A8-4C90-8C2D-5D79677BA55B.jpeg

Reactions: Bowhunter57
"J",
I sold my heavy barrel Savage, in 243, a few years back...for a down payment on a motorcycle. :rolleyes: However, I have fond memories of the knock down power it had for coyotes. (y) I reloaded a 75 gr. Hornady V-Max bullet @ 3300 fps and it did not disappoint. I shot this one at 190 yards. The neighbor was watching out the window of his house, when I made the shot. He said as soon as he heard the shot, the coyote went straight to the ground. :sleep::cool:

Bowhunter57

Attachments

• Coyote 2 - 243.jpg
    Coyote 2 - 243.jpg
    552 KB · Views: 208
Reactions: Mike and Isaacorps

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
"J",
I sold my heavy barrel Savage, in 243, a few years back...for a down payment on a motorcycle. :rolleyes: However, I have fond memories of the knock down power it had for coyotes. (y) I reloaded a 75 gr. Hornady V-Max bullet @ 3300 fps and it did not disappoint. I shot this one at 190 yards. The neighbor was watching out the window of his house, when I made the shot. He said as soon as he heard the shot, the coyote went straight to the ground. :sleep::cool:

Bowhunter57
Daniel, I think you just answered your own question buddy.... 👍🏼

Reactions: Bowhunter57