Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Anyone know what this is?

Sgt Fury

Sgt. Spellchecker
72415593-4DE0-448C-864E-C81720F010D4.jpeg
DA713735-DD69-43FC-9FE5-D5238D0B9AAC.jpeg
31605C02-1C4D-437C-9DF5-BB84F818B3E4.jpeg
Looks like some kind of centipede bit I’ve never seen one in Jersey.

Reactions: RedCloud

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Per google it's a Apheloria virginiensis corrugata. Their defense is to secrete a small amount of cyanide. Not enough to kill you but enough to suck if you rub it in your eyes after handling them.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I’m not joking. Pick it up, give it a shake and sniff Smells like cherries - no lie.

That's the cyanide containing excretion. Most people say it smells of almonds. Almond and cherry extract smell very similar once the sweetness of the aroma is overlooked.

Reactions: Sgt Fury

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
That's the cyanide containing excretion. Most people say it smells of almonds. Almond and cherry extract smell very similar once the sweetness of the aroma is overlooked.
Maybe so. A professor at Hocking showed them to us one spring. We all sniffed it, and I’ve shown probably a dozen people the same thing over the years since, usually while turkey hunting. The prof joked that we would all die. So far, I’m not dead and have not killed anyone by doing it. And if you take a whiff, you will smell cherries, not almonds.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Maybe so. A professor at Hocking showed them to us one spring. We all sniffed it, and I’ve shown probably a dozen people the same thing over the years since, usually while turkey hunting. The prof joked that we would all die. So far, I’m not dead and have not killed anyone by doing it. And if you take a whiff, you will smell cherries, not almonds.

Cool. From what I read youd have to eat a dozen of them to make you real sick.