Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

any idea what these are?

buckbuster217

*Supporting Member*
Byesville, Ohio
I have got a ton of pics of this deer this year, and early on he didnt have any "growths" on him, he developed the first one on his right rear hip, I thought maybe he had been hit or might have been roughed up a bit in a fight, but it has gotten bigger and now he has developed one on his left front shoulder, I have no idea what they are and was wondering if anyone knew what they was or if they had seen them before, the pics go from my first pic of him with no "growths" to now with both

SKYSCRAPER 2.jpgfreak 6 7.jpgfreak 6 8.jpgfreak 6 no 2.jpgfreak.jpgfreak 1.jpg

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member

Maybe he has a tumar

IT"S NOT A TUMAH

I don;t know man. Crazy for sure. Giant radioactive warbles.

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
Wow, that's crazy.
Tumor?

This is just my thought, right or wrong, he obviously needs shootin.
Keep the rack (which is kinda cool actually) but wouldn't trust the meat.
But that's just me, with no knowledge or experience to go on.

Somebody will know.

Deer and Deer Hunting just had an episode about deer like this, but I fell asleep in the first five mins :smiley_depressive:

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
I used to skin a lot of deer at a local processor's..... Looks like an infection of some sort. I can tell you this....If it happens to be like the few I have run into, the whole deer is probably infected. If one of these pockets are cut, it's extremely nasty Yellow/Green and the smell will run you out of the room.

Danman is right...If harvested, cut off the rack and use the rest for coyote bait...Odds are none of it will be good!

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Nothing smells worse than an old wound! Makes me want to gag thinking about it. I used to process deer too, and it is awful what some of these deer must go through. Having said that, some of the deer with foul smelling wounds do not effect the meat surrounding it. Skin it, gag a little, and see what you have left that isn't gross.

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
Nothing smells worse than an old wound! Makes me want to gag thinking about it. I used to process deer too, and it is awful what some of these deer must go through. Having said that, some of the deer with foul smelling wounds do not effect the meat surrounding it. Skin it, gag a little, and see what you have left that isn't gross.

Our Head Butcher/Owner said the same thing..... I know it's probably just in my head.... But I am not doing it.....Just one of those things you do not forget.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Its hard to get over after you smell one of 'em.

These might be from the lil bugs that get into deer though. I'm sure you guys have seen 'em too. Sometimes they swell up as big as a volleyball. Though it looks gross, they are supposed to be harmless.

Speaking of stinky wounds... I had a guy bring in a buck during gun season one year that would score close to BC...it was huge. I didn't measure it, may have been in the 160's, but it was a dandy regardless. He wanted it chopped up, so I skinned it down, smelling the sucker the whole time. When I got down to the shoulder/neck region I found part of an arrow with a broadhead. He said the deer was laying in a creek when he shot it....it was feeling pretty bad I'd say. I called the dude cause I wanted it out of my shop before I puked. I let him check it out, get a good sniff. He turned around while saying "F... it, throw it all away".... After smelling that thing, I had to convince him he should take the head and cape with him as he could still mount it. He drove a van. I'd bet he gagged before getting to the end of the driveway.rotflmao

Mike R

*Supporting Member*
Grew to fast to be anything but infection. Don't skin it with your mouth open. Ive gotten in a few bucks after rut that have pockets of puss in there head area, forehead and such. Probably from fighting. Some are pressurized some are not. DON"T TRY TO GUESS. :smiley_blackeye:

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia

The first deer my cousin killed had been shot with a bow straight between the shoulder blades at least a couple weeks before he killed the buck. It was one of the nastiest smells I have ever been around. He gutted it and we tried to process it, but the whole deer was a stinking mess. Definitely something I want to avoid in the future!!!

RUT NUT

I think what we have here is a case of steroid side effects. Unlike humans....building muscle and shrinking your sack....for bucks....it builds there muscles and shrinks their rack. On a serious note....I have no idea.

at one time i knew what these was called , they are like a tumer kinda thing . karen had a lil buck coming to her feeder that had a big ole hangy one on his head . and also the neighber up the road killed a doe three years ago coverd with them . he called the gw and the game warden told him that there is no worry deer get them , and you can still eat the deer . my neighber said , i;ll be damned if i eat anything that looks like that . but there is a name for them . i just cant remember .

Schu72

Streetsboro
Not sure but they kind of look like lipomas. In my labs old age, he is starting to get fatty tumors or lipomas on his sides and shoulders.

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
I like that rack and was checking out the pics again....look at pic 1 and pic 6....it looks like the antlers have switched sides ?!?!?
See what I mean? Or am I just losing it?

Edit:
Nevermind...looked at all pics again closer...the lower tines angle toward the inside....it looks like a pincer on BOTH sides, depending on the angle.
That's even cooler...

Yeah, shoot that bad boy. This weekend.
Or at least find his sheds.

Last edited:

Tree Monkey

NW ohio
My 1st deer was shot in the first day of gun law and I shot him on the friday that week and he was rotten already we threw his front shoulders away. I can still remember that day like yesterday, and he stunk!