Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Ants in the Humming Bird Feeder?

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
Found a sure way to stop it.
20200518_194007.jpg

Materials:
2 1/4-20 eye bolts
2 1/4-20 nuts
2 sm. Rubber O-rings
Plastic cup cut down. (Can even use a spray can lid)
1 long threaded nut to join eye bolts. (I used a wing nit that had 3/8" of threads)

Drill a hole in center of water container. Put nut and O-ring on each side of container. Fill half way with water....No More Ants!

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
Nice! I've put vasoline at the base of my hook before.

On a side note, I've read that the store bought food with red dye isn't good for the birds. 1 part white sugar to 4 parts purified water brought to a boil is the healthier alternative. They smash it.

Dustinb80

#FACKCANCER
Supporting Member
S.W. Ohio

On a side note, I've read that the store bought food with red dye isn't good for the birds. 1 part white sugar to 4 parts purified water brought to a boil is the healthier alternative. They smash it.
Ive heard the same thing about the red dye

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina

This is what the wife does as well. We get em pretty regularly at ours.

Reactions: Blan37

Blan37

SW Ohio
I spray permethrin around the ground and up about 1/3 of the shepherds pole the feeder hangs on. Doesn’t last more than a month though.

I like the permanent solution you have here. Pretty cool.

Reactions: Mike

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio

Google says tap water is just as good. That the birds contaminate it on first drink anyhow. Still a much cheaper method I will be using from now on.
This set up was pretty cheap as well. 7.00 and I have 2 extra cups.