Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Ancient arrow discovered in melting glacier in Norway

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I had this article sent to my inbox today and I think it is really cool. The preservation of this arrow is unbelievable. What is most awe-inspiring though, at least to me, is just how similar our archery technology, design, whatever you want to call it, is today as it was 1,500 years ago. It's a real testament to the efficiency and effectiveness of archery as a whole.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Cool as hell.

Notice how the arrow is fat in the middle and skinnier at the ends. Didn't easton or someone come out with some super high tech "revolutionary" design like that recently. 🤣

1_500_yo_arrow.jpeg

Jamie

Ohio
very cool find. remarkable that the wood, sinew, and pitch could possibly last that long even frozen in solid ice.

I found this assumption a little annoying, though.

"This is a reindeer hunting site, so the arrows were lost when the hunters missed the reindeer and the arrows disappeared into the snow,” Pilø said. “A missed shot, but an archaeological bull's eye."

I'm thinking that arrow plowed through a caribou's chest before it landed in the rocks and wasn't actually a "missed shot".

Jamie

Ohio
Cool as hell.

Notice how the arrow is fat in the middle and skinnier at the ends. Didn't easton or someone come out with some super high tech "revolutionary" design like that recently. 🤣

View attachment 160321
that is called a "barrel taper", and people have been making wood arrows like that for millennia. Lots of primitive arrows were full length tapered, too. That is to say that the nock end was the skinniest and the point end was fattest with a consistent taper the entire length because that is the shape of the live shoots growing. That meant less work in turning a stick into and arrow for people with stone tools. I do believe that Howard Hill preferred full length tapered arrows. Full length taper also automatically puts weight forward, so the whole F.O.C. thing is not a revolutionary concept, lol.

Archery industry been reinventing the wheel for a couple hundred years. :rolleyes:

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
very cool find. remarkable that the wood, sinew, and pitch could possibly last that long even frozen in solid ice.

I found this assumption a little annoying, though.

"This is a reindeer hunting site, so the arrows were lost when the hunters missed the reindeer and the arrows disappeared into the snow,” Pilø said. “A missed shot, but an archaeological bull's eye."

I'm thinking that arrow plowed through a caribou's chest before it landed in the rocks and wasn't actually a "missed shot".
That’s exactly what was going through my head while reading it too!

Reactions: giles and Jamie