Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Alum spillway

Lucky

Sunbury
Does anyone on TOO have any information on what there doing or building by the bridge on big walnut rd. They have had the water flo at a high discharge for over ten days.Wich is not normal, I keep up on army corp of engineer website constantly this time of year cause i fish spillways, mostly Alum and hoover cause of location to me. They let water out at many times this time of year and shut it down for flood control.But not like this year.Its usualy for a few days then shut it down.But they have been doing work there where they have gravel half way out into water with big steel pilions comming out of gravel. Not sure if building new bridge or what . Been waiting for it too come down to a decent fishing level and last night they finaly drooed it down to a fishable level, then droped it too my personal favorite level.Needless to say was excited bout that and planned on hitting it tonight. Go figure there raising it back up,. I would think with construction going on they would want a low water level, only thought is they want lots of water pressure up against the gravel base..Any one have any info on whats doing on.There killn me.Thanks for any replies on this.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I know nothing about that spillway. However, Paint Creek is a mess. We’ve had an usually high amount of rain and they have been dumping an awful lot of water.

Lucky

Sunbury
They let out water alot at this time of year usualy b4 we got alot of rain comming qnd usualy shut it down rite after as flood control for the scioto. Not usualy like this year and i keep an eye on alot this time of year thru march,cause after they release water alot of good fish come in there.This year though is definatly different on the lenghth of time theyve kept open and have to asume its for whatever project there doing by the bridge.Only time in past they were releasing for as long if period of time was when they were lowering water level to work on grave sites that kept washing up by Cheshire yrs ago. Once water level dropped off at that time it was loaded with some of the biggest eyes we caught there.Many 10 lbers that year. Theres going to b some good fishing this yr TOO. Just real curious as to what they are doing or building.

Lucky

Sunbury
Ya got out for a couple hrs last night, no real luck missed a couple between my brother and I. He had one nice one on for a few and snagged a smaller carp. I did snagg into a dead one that must have been laying on bottom.You get that alot when alot come thru discharge tube that dont survive there trip thru the tube.Last year hooked into about 6 big dead ones while bouncing jigs across bottom.Theres some decent eyes in there , but the month we do best is march ..so good days are on way. I think what there working on down there is fixing or replacing the pipe that transfers water from alum to hoover.
20190225_211215.jpg
20190225_211215.jpg

Lucky

Sunbury
Yup,,, lots of musky, some years lots more than others , last year i caught a few. But a few years ago couldnt keep them off line.My brother got a 48 incher out of there. Like Beentown said, there are lots of them in there full of jigs.I got one musky that had two jerk baits stuck on it, good catch.But he said there trying to snag them..not sure about all that.No one snagging musky would use little jigs and 4lb string. Just people fishing down there with out right gear. I certainly dont try to snag them but have many times just bouncing jigs of bottom for saugeye. Just a by catch. But some years u can go there and catch lots of big slimy musky.

Reactions: OO2

Lucky

Sunbury
Got out for a couple hrs last night, I didnt get any suageyes to in, but my brother got a smaller one about 17 inch. I missed one fish that im pretty sure was an eye only got a glimpse before it got off .But did hook one big musky and a real nice small mouth.Dont usually hit smallies down there . Both caught on a 4.5 inch blue and yellow swimbait. Hopefully we get some good rain this weekend and they let out more water .That would help. Musky pic isnt the best had headlamp on but can still see the size on it.
20190308_211645.jpg
h
20190308_211635.jpg
20190308_203336.jpg

Lucky

Sunbury
Hit it for a bit last night water level still lot higher than i like but got 2 out.Missed a couple once they shut down flow some itl ne on fire ....quite a few in there.
20190314_075854.jpg

Reactions: giles and Sgt Fury

Lucky

Sunbury
Little guy was 15.5 in just looks like a tiny baby next to moma suageye when water level goes down, it wont b to hard to get lots of the bjg ones or bigger prob hit it again this weekend if they shut down flow a little.

Reactions: Sgt Fury

Lucky

Sunbury
Thanks, heading out this eve/ night,with a buddy and brother. They lowered it down some so should b pretty productive. I know there in there ,saw some that were stuned from just comming thru the tube floating in current then flipping over and swiming down. Going to find out just how good a run it was tonight. ill post pics, hopefully of some hogs.

Lucky

Sunbury
ya joshys and twister tails primarily. Rouges and husky jerks some, but definatly need another good heavy rain so they let out some more water. Not a real good run this season so far there. Last year was great, they were so thick, this year there some in there but sparse. On friday with brother and a buddy nobody got any....missed a couple but with the high winds and cold temp it was shity weather and shitty fishing. Went for few hrs last night and missed 2 nice ones got one big musky and one smaller eye. Second musky in about 3 weeks. There fun.... but not what i was hopn for. Theres some big saugeye in there but not alot .
20190318_053607.jpg
20190317_224225.jpg

Lucky

Sunbury
not spillway, but rite above on main lake above dam spillway action pretty muched sucked this year....compared to most but main lakes are heating up. Eyes are still spawning but about to come to end then it realy heats up rite after, and morels should comming in week or so going to be a banner year for shrooms the way its slow steady warm up with moisture. It keeps up like its going, setting up to be better hunting than weve had in over 10 yrs.
20190405_213329.jpg
20190405_213309.jpg
20190405_213329.jpg