Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

3 years in making

at1010

*Supporting Member*
First off - I need to thank my family and wife for even supporting my obsession that is soil and whitetail deer.

Second, thanks to my brothers at TOO!

This story starts two years ago, summer of 2019, I get a decent looked short g2 10pt on camera. At that time I assumed he was 3 years old and decided if I saw him - he’d get the pass.

Fast forward to 11/2 of 2019 and I was presented with an opportunity to kill him at 10 yards. I was coming off my cousin shooting a great buck and I really wanted to kill one so badly, but I just couldn’t shoot him at 3 years old.

2020 that deer showed up one time - around gun. That’s it! So not much to write there.

2021 I had a pic or two but not much. I got to farm on 11/3. I checked cards and had him on it and a few others. I knew the wind was a NW and I choose highpoint as my place to hunt. I had not sat there all year and almost to the date I passed this same deer out of there 2 years ago.

After me being my clumsy self and finally getting setup. I settled in and relaxed to enjoy a beautiful evening.

At 445 I heard deer and caught a glimpse of a rack in the thicket just off to the west of the field. Then a doe pops out and a buck right behind her. I wasn’t sure which buck it was or if I wanted to kill him, so I started filming with phone. After looking at his body and a few texts with buddies - I decided if given chance, I’d shoot him.

The doe continued to eat and he worked in to 25 yards. I get ready - and he turns around and goes back to the doe…….I thought it was over but knew I had plenty of daylight left. Finally the doe started towards me and he came on a string! Waiting for him to turn broadside took another good bit. Finally he did and I drew back, asked Grandpap in heaven to make me fast and accurate and let it fly.

I thought shot was a touch high and back - deer was qtr away slightly and I hit back of one lung and center of other. He poured blood and went about 150 yards. I heard him crash. Not all deer are destined to be Booners but I sure am happy with this 5+ year old brute.

Thank you all.

Summer of 2019
C9A3E22F-474F-45B6-B035-4AF9566E7233.jpeg

11/2/2019
92FD0F1E-DE68-4FE3-9136-FB6285E22E9E.jpeg

One lucky and happy guy 2021
1891E2DF-C4AE-4738-8B52-4E08D49C061A.jpeg

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
That’s what it’s all about folks, the look on his face. The shear happiness of hard work and perseverance that paid off…. Congrats Al….

Reactions: at1010