Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

28 guage for upland bird hunting?

daleeman

Dayton
Hi all,
Enjoy getting out and bird hunting, certainly not as young or healthy as I once was Cardiac issues, tripple bypass and all a while back. Still can shoot my 12 guages and actually own a 20 I purchased to pass onto to my granddaughter, but they wear me out in the field.

Two weeks ago at OGCA I picked up a CZ Ringneck SXS in 28 guage, fell in love with it and it followed me home. This will be my old man's hunting gun, light, small and shoots well.

Been going trap shooting with it and can hit 17/25 most times and I have learned what too far to shoot is with this fire stick. So how many out there actually hunt with a 28 and can you share any advice here to this new guy.

Thanks,
Lee
image.jpeg

nathan.luthman

Supporting Member
Never hunted with a 28 but have done quite a bit of shooting with my model 42 .410... just have to not have a happy trigger finger...

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
Don't have one myself but your thread reminded me of a group of men I knew while living in SW Florida for 8 years.
They were very adamant about their 28 gage and used only them for bird.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Don't have one myself but your thread reminded me of a group of men I knew while living in SW Florida for 8 years.
They were very adamant about their 28 gage and used only them for bird.

Sam has used one during our rabbit hunting excursions lol... He's very accurate with that scatter gun...

Milo

Tatonka guide.
28's can be effective on birds in Ohio but I wouldn't do so with any shells off the shell. Reloads can get quite effective if done correctly. I would not advise you try that on any birds in Iowa or the central states. They are tough sob's

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Milo's right, not enough ass for wild pheasants but would be just fine for doves and pen birds in Ohio.

I don't own one but I dove hunted with a buddy's ruger red label 28 o/u and it was an absolute joy to shoot. I would love to own one but I don't currently reload my own ammo and I'd hate to have to buy 28 gauge loads off the shelf.

daleeman

Dayton
Results at the trap field are stagnant at 16 or 17 out of 25. Need to try some 7/8 ounce 9 shot.

I am feeling more confident with the 28 guage. Just can't wait to hunt with it.

tjeep

I have a 28/20 Beretta silver pigeon combo. I find when I used the 28 I choked up. When preserve hunting/training dogs on Phez. I shoot Mod/Full #4 or 5. I would not use a 28 for wild roosters. I shoot Fox's exclusively for upland now. You can find deals on a nice 16ga Sterlingworth that weighs right at 6lbs. I just picked one up at the last OGCA meeting. With a 1oz load the 16 is a perfect light recoil and light carry gun.

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
Standard 28 gauge load is 3/4 oz compared to the standard 20 being 7/8. For doves, grouse, woodcock they are pretty much equal. For pheasants over a pointer either are good with the right loads but 20 has more options for factory ammo. For pheasants from a flushing dog I'd prefer something bigger.

I have one 28, an Ithaca 37 pump, Would love a SxS.

daleeman

Dayton
Called and left a message for the Greene County Game Warden to see where at Ceasors Creek or some other local spot I can go crow hunting until pheasant season opens. I know the season is on, and just Fri-Sundays. Start working that SxS 28 guage.
Awaiting his return call.

Milo

Tatonka guide.
Screw in chokes or fixed? If your fixed then that's probably as good a shooting as you will get with a short barrel side by side. Mine are mod and improved cylinder. Great bunny guns. Keep shooting...

daleeman

Dayton
This might be a dumb question, but have you checked out the hunting map for Ceaser's Creek? http://wildlife.ohiodnr.gov/Portals/wildlife/Maps/Wildlife Area Maps/PDFs/caesarcreek.pdf.

Looks like plenty of grassland up North that might be productive for crow.

Valid point. I have, two areas I usually go to hunt pheasants, squirrels and rabbits are the Dove Fields and up past the dog training area are off limits to crow hunting. Others may be open, just want to make certain before I go. this weekend is moving my daughter so next weekend should have some time out in the fields early Saturday morning.

Anyone interested?

Lee

daleeman

Dayton
Ah ok. Didn't know certain areas were off limits for crow.

Playing phone tag with the ranger, but the dove and sunflower fields are off limits till mowed down. The rest of his message was garbled, so will try some more phone tag.

Last edited: