Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

2022 Shed Hunting

Buddha

6C60BCE1-57F3-478A-8933-D829826F92B5.jpeg

Buddha’s on the board with his first shed of 2022

Nice
Looks like last years?
If so does that mean he hunts with his eyes and his nose?
It is time in my household for a new dog and I would like to train him or her to shed hunt.
Is Buddha a golden?
My old dog walked many many miles over the years shed hunting with me but I never put any effort into training him. Just liked his company while walking.

Reactions: finelyshedded

Buddha

Nice
Looks like last years?
If so does that mean he hunts with his eyes and his nose?
It is time in my household for a new dog and I would like to train him or her to shed hunt.
Is Buddha a golden?
My old dog walked many many miles over the years shed hunting with me but I never put any effort into training him. Just liked his company while walking.
A7E339E5-3A83-41C2-9675-B0AAEA611A82.jpeg
I was talking on the phone when he picked it up. I had probably found 8 sheds in my lifetime before I got him (purebred AKC Golden Retriever). As a puppy he would always run to the shelf they were on and grab them to chew on… so I just gave them to him. When we are out shed hunting and I see him lay down and start chewing on something… it’s almost always an antler… if he’s rolling in something… it’s a dead animal. Only thing I ever trained him on was recall to my side immediately (we have large populations of coyotes and he chases them. For me it’s just spending time alone walking in the woods with Buddha…finding antlers is just a bonus… and he loves to chew on them.