Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

2021 SHROOMS!

Bluefinn

Portage Co.
Good to know. I think knowing the look alike possibilities is one of the hardest parts of shrooming
I wouldn't eat honey mushrooms for years even though I knew a white spore print confirmed them. Was afraid of galerina. Once found a bunch of bluets that had the right pinkish spore print. Family & friends ate them. Went back a few days later & picked a bunch more & we ate them that night. Put a few on the side to print for the hell of it. The next day the spore prints were a lot darker than previous ones. Thought I poisoned my family with cortinarious. Takes a month before it starts shutting down your liver. I couldn't sleep a wink. I was very scared. Called a mycologist & talked to the head of the Ohio mushroom society. E-mailed them pics of the mushrooms & spore prints. Turned out they were bluets & the spore prints were a little darker cause they were older. You can't be to careful trying new mushrooms that have dangerous look-a-likes without lots of research. I recommend the book 100 edible mushrooms by Michael Kuo.

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
@Jamie Is this anything good?

20210921_163147.jpg

Jamie

Ohio
deja vu

last year while scouting for a tree to use my climber on I found a small bunch of Hens growing at the base of an old oak stump. my first ones ever. I never took my climber up there to hunt one time last season, lol. I have killed over a dozen deer on that hillside in the last 14 years. one of my best spots, and the only wind that works is an easterly one. So, I went up there this morning with a stand and my gear to find a new tree to hang a stand. after I got done, I went back to that old oak stump and found another clump of Hens in the exact same spot. literally in the EXACT same spot as last year. either a critter, the wind or the fungus itself had pulled it out of the ground already. lucky I found it today as it was just laying there. happy happy, joy joy. :D

IMG_3543.JPG

Jamie

Ohio
it was October 4 last year when I found them. I went back to see on last years mushroom thread. I've looked and looked on this place for more, but never have found any. not even any old ones or anything. good luck!

Jamie

Ohio
Ok mushroom experts.

I just went back to my woods and put up a stand. From 20 feet up I look over and see this. Holy cow. Is this chicken of the woods?View attachment 136667View attachment 136668View attachment 136669View attachment 136670
those are chickens, but it seems like whenever I find them with no color to them they are always past their prime. that isn't a rule, just my experience. best to check them and see if the pores on the underneath sides are opened up. if the bottoms are smooth and the they are firm but tender, then they are probably good. if they are brittle or tough or the pores are opened up, they are probably not worth cutting.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
those are chickens, but it seems like whenever I find them with no color to them they are always past their prime. that isn't a rule, just my experience. best to check them and see if the pores on the underneath sides are opened up. if the bottoms are smooth and the they are firm but tender, then they are probably good. if they are brittle or tough or the pores are opened up, they are probably not worth cutting.
They did look dry or parched and it had been awhile since I had been back there so I don’t know how long they’ve been out.
can I do anything to make sure they come back next year and become more plentiful? Lol

Jamie

Ohio
They did look dry or parched and it had been awhile since I had been back there so I don’t know how long they’ve been out.
can I do anything to make sure they come back next year and become more plentiful? Lol
none that I'm aware of. lol, why do I get all the hard questions? :LOL:

• Haha
Reactions: finelyshedded