Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

2021 SHROOMS!

GoetsTalon

Supporting Member
Walbridge oh
I was informed by the pic sender to not get to excited. He said they look big in the pic but are small. Also said they looked over four hours for them.

Stressless

Keene, OH
Neighbors

20702.jpeg
get after 'em

Stressless

Keene, OH

Redhunter1012

Supporting Member
View attachment 126341View attachment 126342View attachment 126343Hit a few today. Sunny spots are great here from friends out hunting. interior of timber lacking for now. Posted before with zero response with elephant ears. Books say don't eat false morels or elephant ears as what I've know them to be called. I tossed these two but have eaten the tops in the past.
I've always eaten them. We called them beefsteaks. That being said, 1 person can be fine and the next severely allergic when it comes to shrooms

Jamie

Ohio
I have a new found respect for Dryad's Saddle, aka, Pheasant Backs. I cut some yesterday that looked young and so perfect I couldn't resist. these are undoubtedly the best ones I've ever found/eaten, and they were absolutely delicious and tender. I'll check every one I see from now on. you gotta get them when they are just right, and when they are past their prime, they are not very good at all. these are polypore fungi like chicken of the woods and hen of the woods, and they taste much like the hens I ate last fall. I did a trial run cooking them today, and am very glad I have twice as much more to cook tomorrow. :)

paper thin sliced pheasants on the right, first Oysters of the year on the left, and some ramp greens to cook with them. these mushrooms both liked sharing skillet with ramps greens.

pheasants and oysters.jpg

GoetsTalon

Supporting Member
Walbridge oh
Great info! I have been seeing those but I was thinking they were from last year and didn't even stop to look. Still learning about this fungus stuff.

Reactions: xbowguy

Jamie

Ohio
yes they are. check the underneath side. if the pores are large and you cannot easily scrape them off with a fingernail, they are not fit to eat. will be like eating your boot. you could still use for stock or dry them and grind into powder. the good ones are almost always fairly vibrant in color and not real big. I've seen dozens of these in the last two weeks that are 12" or more in diameter. apparently, I need to look for these more in early April.

Reactions: Sgt Fury