Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

2021 SHROOMS!

Jamie

Ohio
took a little walk today to check on my mineral rocks, berry progress, and in hopes of finding some Oyster mushrooms. didn't find any Oysters, but the magic mushroom tree has come back to life early. cut some of the ugliest COWs I think I've ever seen, but they were young and good for the skillet. I also discovered a plethora of what I am 99.9% sure are Chanterelles popping on an old skid loader trail that I keep mowed. go back and see if they get bigger in a week. I have never seen Chanterelles in either place on my property where I found these today. Both places were open areas with no leaf litter or much other vegetation around. Was hard to get them in the pic, but there were hundreds of these little spikes coming up over a 75' stretch of this trail. None in the woods where I usually find them a month or more from now. going to be a bumper crop of blackberries and raspberries at my place this year, too.

fingers crossed that these will grow to at least a couple of inches so they are worth bending down for. The earliest I have ever harvested Chanterelles in the woods is June 20. I hope this is a good sign of things to come. the last two years have not been great for Chant's.

IMG_3430.JPG

I have no idea why these are so ugly and dirty looking. I took the pick after I very thoroughly washed them. they gonna look a lot worse after I get done with them, I guess. :D

IMG_3431.JPG

Jamie

Ohio
well, my Chanterelle sprouts are definitely Chanterelles, and are growing, just not fast enough. ;)

getting there.jpg

and I bumbled upon these Black Staining Polypore mushrooms

Black Staining Polypore.JPG

IMG_3433.JPG

I wasn't sure what they were, but they looked, smelled, felt like food to me. I made a positive ID when I got home. I've never found these before, and apparently they are not fabulous to eat, but I've read the same thing about Dryad's Saddle, and I know that isn't true. I'm gonna give them a try.

Jamie

Ohio
I trimmed the margins of these to cook, and sliced it thin. cooked enough to get a taste and size up their worth as table fare. they remind me of chicken of the woods more than Hen's as far as flavor. they are quite tasty. the texture is unusual for a mushroom, but they certainly weren't tough like everything I've read. see if the sit well after a healthy sample, and If they do, I'm going back after a pile of them as I only brought home a small amount to give them a try. I love mushrooms. the more the merrier.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
well, my Chanterelle sprouts are definitely Chanterelles, and are growing, just not fast enough. ;)

View attachment 129691

and I bumbled upon these Black Staining Polypore mushrooms

View attachment 129692
View attachment 129693

I wasn't sure what they were, but they looked, smelled, felt like food to me. I made a positive ID when I got home. I've never found these before, and apparently they are not fabulous to eat, but I've read the same thing about Dryad's Saddle, and I know that isn't true. I'm gonna give them a try.
That’s the same stuff I founded last year behind our house growing off an old white oak stump if I remember correctly.

Jamie

Ohio
a nice triple on the 3rd. went to check on berries one last time. raspberries pretty well over at my place, but at least there are Blackberries on like I've not seen since we bought the place. hopefully, I can get some of them as there are plenty enough for me, the birds and deer.

decided do a quick check on some mushrooms and to see if the Ramps I transplanted had gone to seed, which they had. the big white ones are very large Oyster's. stumbled onto another small, young flush of Black Staining Polypore's, which I could not pass up, and had some Chanterelles in one of my go-to spots. pretty early for Chant's still, and I found no signs of life in one of my most reliable honey holes today. I don't think I've ever gotten any from that spot until the end of July, anyway. wild fungus on the menu every day this week. :D

IMG_3452.jpg

Jamie

Ohio
went to check on a couple of my honey holes for Chanterelles today. now is about the time I usually start finding some. with all the rain and warm temps we've had, there are lots of mushrooms now, and more coming fast. my break in the weather didn't last very long, but gathering mushrooms in pouring rain does keep the skeeters at bay. pretty good haul today for only being the woods for an hour. had to pour the water out of my boots when I got home, though.

7-12-21.jpg

bonus find of a beautiful flush of Oysters.
7-12-21 3.JPG

7-12-21 2.JPG

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
That is awesome Jamie! Probably some around here on the tree farm but I've never looked. Actually never done shrooms other than Morels.

Reactions: Jamie

Jamie

Ohio
do yourself a big favor and go find some. Chanterelles are BETTER than Morels, imo. these are not hard to find if you go look for them. if they are there, you won't miss them. very easy to spot.

Reactions: xbowguy

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I believe I finally found (AKA "noticed") some chanterelles tonight here behind the house. Smaller shroom, that orangish color, sporadically growing on our oak/maple flat. Is there anything I could confuse them with, or are they pretty straight forward. The pic Greg shared is what I saw. Also saw a cluster of white shrooms that look familiar. I'll snap a pic tomorrow to share for ID.

Reactions: Isaacorps