Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

2020 shrooms!

Smawgunner

Athens
Man, I've spent at least 10 hours this year and only one morel. I've looked for Elms, south facing, you name it. Been a weird season. Most times when I find them, there is no rhyme or reason to the location. I even went back to the same places I've found them in the past.....skunked. Nice job boys on the ones I've seen here!

MoonLab

Where we’re going, we don’t need roads.
Supporting Member
Tooville
In the fall of 2018 my mom bought me some morel spores for my birthday. In the Spring of 2019 I took the kids old sandbox and converted it into my worm and morel mushroom box. I went to Lowe’s and bought a few bags of sand, manure, topsoil, hardwood mulch, and peat. I added some old rotten apple wood pieces, sprinkled my spores, and turned it all over. So far no morels but the directions did say it takes 3-4 years to produce. We shall see. In the meantime my squirrels love to bury their hickory nuts in there. I keep it juiced with rotting apple logs and decaying elm bark. Maybe next year. View attachment 100918
Cool, good luck

Iowa_Buckeye

Smartest person here
Linn County Iowa
I don’t see any false morels.

These are not morels. Hollow stem, but the top is not attached all the way down. The tops are more like a skirt than a Christmas tree.
7B36F8DE-C839-439B-B70E-0EBDAA307794.jpeg

Reactions: Sgt Fury

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
It you notice the difference in the cap? The ridges are not sharply defined. The ones you pictured are called a lot of things; half frees, dog peckers, horse tails.