Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

2020 shrooms!

Jamie

Ohio
found this today while I was doing a little scouting. first Hen's I've ever found in good enough shape to eat. anxious to eat some tonight. any suggestions for cooking them @Redhunter1012?

IMG_3121.jpg

Jamie

Ohio
this was only about 3-4 lbs worth. I like to use half olive oil and half butter when I sautee Chanterelles. I'll fry some up like that with salt and pepper for us to get a good taste tonight, make sure there are no ill effects on either of us, then chow down on them for the next couple of days until they're gone. will these last 3 or 4 days in the fridge once they are cleaned, separated and dry?

Reactions: giles

Jamie

Ohio
if there are mushrooms in heaven, they are surely Maitake mushrooms. better eat as many as I can while I'm still here. these are fabulous!

Jamie

Ohio
yes, these are every bit as delicious as fresh Chanterelles. it's a different experience, but equally pleasing. and from what I've read very powerful medicinal properties, too.

Bowkills

Nw oh
found this today while I was doing a little scouting. first Hen's I've ever found in good enough shape to eat. anxious to eat some tonight. any suggestions for cooking them @Redhunter1012?

View attachment 110723
I've always been to late with hens. I have a neighbor a mile south of me that has them around oaks in his front yard every year, but I can never time it right, seems like I need to drive by every day. I thought I had found old rotten ones in the woods last week. I'll be checking his trees routinely after these rains.

Jamie

Ohio
do you guys find Hens in the same places year after year? should I look around in the same vicinity and even the same trees or stumps? I have occasion today to walk by the stump I got the Hens from last week.

Bowkills

Nw oh
do you guys find Hens in the same places year after year? should I look around in the same vicinity and even the same trees or stumps? I have occasion today to walk by the stump I got the Hens from last week.
my neighbor has 5 oak trees next to the road in his yard. They r there every year. Someone else will have to answer same tree I'm thinking yes. I'm guessing it's like your chicken logs u have, check every year.

Reactions: Jamie