Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

2019-nCoV (Coronavirus)

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
So have any of your employers had any discussion with employees about health/safety measures to avoid infection spread, and/or contingency plans if the virus becomes widespread? Are any of your businesses taking it seriously?

Last week I had to have a routine test at the hospital - I asked the nurses/techs if the hospital had discussed any heightened procedures due to the Coronavirus - nope, not concerned, cited previous SARS/Ebola stuff.

My day job is the Business Continuity / Disaster Recovery Program Manager for a large healthcare IT company. Part of Business Continuity is the Pandemic Response Plan. For the last two days I have been asshole deep updating ours. Like you and J said most businesses tend to ignore things until they are forced to deal with them. In situations like this that is a horrible plan. Planning doesn't cost anything except a little of people's time. For instance the impact to the workforce could be considerable. Not only from associates who become ill but also their family members. Mom, dad, kids, grandparents all qualify as immediate relatives under FMLA. If an associate needs to take care of their sick mother they will be gone on FMLA for up to 12 weeks. The associates themselves could have an extended leave of absence if they get sick, this isn't the flu that people get over in a few days, recovery from this takes weeks. How about absence due to school and daycare closures. How about employees that wish to self quarantine out if fear. What's the work from home requirements? We should explore expanding our cleaning contract to maybe have someone in office wiping down common surfaces through the day. When do we close meeting rooms and require everyone to have teleconferences? Does HR have a method to track absences. Do we have outsourcing options if absences impact critical business functions. How are we going to communicate to associates status and office closures? All of these and much more should be talked about and placed in a pandemic response plan. It really just depends on the culture of the business how responsive they are. Most can't see past the end of their nose and live in a perpetual cycle of reactive decision making.

Reactions: OhioWhiteTails

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
I emailed my boss this morning and asked if anything has been discussed with the managers from our corporate. I told him that we should incorporate a discussion about the corona virus with the next upcoming safety topic (which happens to be response to bloodborne pathogens). I told him that we have to talk to people about handwashing/disinfecting, and to stay home if they're sick, and that we have to make sure there is no stigma attached to that. My concern is not so much the salary people, but the hourly folks who live paycheck to paycheck will continue to come to work because they won't want to miss the hours.

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
So have any of your employers had any discussion with employees about health/safety measures to avoid infection spread, and/or contingency plans if the virus becomes widespread? Are any of your businesses taking it seriously?

Last week I had to have a routine test at the hospital - I asked the nurses/techs if the hospital had discussed any heightened procedures due to the Coronavirus - nope, not concerned, cited previous SARS/Ebola stuff.

My daughter works in a large food processing plant. 2 weeks ago they came up with a plan of dealing with an employee if they get infected. They set up a a “clean“ room if someone gets sick at work. If someone in the plant gets diagnosed they plan on closing the plant temporarily to get everyone tested and to sanitize the plant.

She said they aren’t too concerned about the supply chain at this point. The bird flu a few years ago affected their egg supply.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Life is a double-edged sword. I am honored to be in Columbus today working on a state committee that was assembled by the Governor's office. It's a nice bullet point on my resume and I'm learning a lot, so it's an extremely valuable experience. The flipside of the coin, the guy I just met and shook hands with just came back from the EU. Fucker may have just gave me the virus...

Reactions: Mike

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
Life is a double-edged sword. I am honored to be in Columbus today working on a state committee that was assembled by the Governor's office. It's a nice bullet point on my resume and I'm learning a lot, so it's an extremely valuable experience. The flipside of the coin, the guy I just met and shook hands with just came back from the EU. Fucker may have just gave me the virus...
Let's start a trend - next time someone sticks their hand out, put your hands behind your back and bow at the waist. It acknowledges them, shows respect, and keeps their grubby mitts offa your grubby mitts.

5Cent

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
North Central Ohio
Guy behind me that went to LAX last week told me of the group of Chinese stewardess at the breakfast buffet at their hotel for 3 days...... awesome.

Spent the day to today at University Heights hospital in Cleveland due to the death of a my wife's grandfather......awesome.

Ain't getting away from anything in the world anymore boys.

huntn2

Hudson, OH
We have cancelled all non essential travel and have forbidden travel to a group of select international countries. We have employee quarantine measures in place and guest protocol measures deployed.
My travels have continued which includes through ATL on a regular basis. Between domestic and international travel, it doesn’t get busier in our mainland.

Wash thoroughly and often. Situational awareness and pray for the best 😎

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
All this planning is all good, until the plant/factory or neighbor gets it and it’s a crap shoot at that point. Wash your hands a lot and just do what you can do in your little world....

5Cent

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
North Central Ohio
Found this to be both funny and disturbing...,6yr memory on Facebook from my cousin. This is literally what we are dealing with...
Screenshot_20200225-201500~2.png