Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

2 up and 2 down so far

0 for 2 for the season. I spoke to a hunter last night for a small buck that was shot yesterday at about 6pm and all indicators said this wasn't a dead deer, but you never know and we made plans to meet this morning to give it a go. Drove about an hour and get there at 8:00 and we had a mile walk back into last blood and went to work. Finley immediately dropped us into a massively steep ravine and straight back up the other side. She seemed confident so I let her go to and we ended up at a property line so we turned around and went back to the ravine to restart. This time she went straight instead of left at the top and we went to another property line with a corn field, but she seemed confident despite the lack of sign. I was doubting her, so we went back and restarted AGAIN and she took me right back to that corn field again on the same exact route. I was confident we were on the correct deer, but we decided to call it due to no indication the deer went this way and the property boundary. We left and the hunter ended up getting permission to go into the corn field where he found a dried up bed where the deer laid last night. The owner also said that they herd a ruckus at about 3am and the suspicion was that coyotes got to it first.
It always sucks for a non-recovery, but you can't find then if they aren't dead or coyotes pushed them into the next county. On to the next.

Woohoo! Just got confirmation of life on my second track, so I'll call that a win!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231011_172708_Business Suite.jpg
    Screenshot_20231011_172708_Business Suite.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 64