Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

1st Annual Family Fishing and Camping Outing

Dustinb80

#FACKCANCER
Supporting Member
S.W. Ohio
Its been mentioned before about having a family gathering with the members, well here it is. May 4th - 6th we will be at Paint creek. This thread will serve to get an idea of a head count and figure out food for the weekend. Giles and Quantum Jon will serve as the point men on this with their knowledge of the campgrounds. I will post a picture of the area that we will be allowed to camp at. The date we picked, it is my understanding that only a portion of the campground will be available. It is 1st come 1st serve, we cant make reservations on sites.

6467207375775430557.jpg

This is a family outing, feel free to bring the wife and kids. Dogs are welcome TOO. Feel free to ask questions and add ideas or thoughts to this thread. I will be bringing my kayak, and most likely my smoker. I have no doubt that this will end up being as much fun as our Mingo and Strouds events. Lookin forward to seeing everyone.

Here is a link to Paint Creeks website:

http://parks.ohiodnr.gov/paintcreek

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
It's unlikely I can attend since I'll be at AEP the weekend prior for my annual trip, but will see what's possible as this draws closer. You fellers will have a great time either way.

5Cent

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
North Central Ohio
Very cool guys! I will speak with the boss and check the schedule. Biggest issue on my end is it being 3+ hours away but that may mean I only bring my oldest 2 and leave the Mrs. at home with the little guy.

Also, would be nice to be as close to each other as possible since once they head to bed we have to be relatively close to them sleeping. Please PM me your site numbers.

Last edited:

5Cent

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
North Central Ohio
Guys, reservations can be made online. State Parks allow reservations up to 6 months in advance if they are of decent size. I just looked at availability and most are available in the electric site areas.

Giles, did you ask about tent or camper electric sites?

Dustinb80

#FACKCANCER
Supporting Member
S.W. Ohio
Im not familiar with this area, but are the sites big enough that we could fit a camper along with a decent sized tent? If so, I would say we try and get 33-38, in that lower portion of the loop as to keep everyone as close to each other as possible. Giles/Jon chime in when you can.

Quantum673

Black Hat Cajun
Supporting Member
According to the website. Paint Creek State park is walk in only October 15th thru May 16th. Sites 1-64 are the only sites available during this time. It is considered their winter season.

5Cent

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
North Central Ohio
Ahhh gotcha, didn't realize they weren't in regular season by then. I like that loop area and will be happy to be the Ginny pig for online reservation attempt if ya want.

Quantum673

Black Hat Cajun
Supporting Member
Jon, u just snag 34?
Wasn't me. Hopefully someone else on here.

Problem is that even if you reserve a spot on the site it is probably not going to be guaranteed. If someone gets there before you they can take it since it is walk ins only. At least that is how I am reading it.

5Cent

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
North Central Ohio
I forgot the website reserves that site for 10-15mins even if you didn't checkout. So it showed unavailable but just released.

I know that a paid/reserved site cannot be taken by a walk-in. Let us know if you guys call the campground. I'll try and reserve to see if it goes all the way thru.

5Cent

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
North Central Ohio
I reserved 29, purchase went thru. Will keep ya posted if I get any info regarding it being an issue.

Last edited:

5Cent

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
North Central Ohio
Something to note, that curve is premium sites and appear to include a deck due to them being of a ridge. Price is $29/ night. Total is $66. Might be nice since it could still be wet.

Since we know reservations work (just received email confirmation), we may want to look at the curve with sites 177. It's wide open. Price drops to $27/night.

image.jpg