Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

12 gauge scope recommendations

Schu72

Streetsboro
I'm still a dinosaur. Still toting the Ithaca Deerslayer II 12 ga. during firearms season. It's been scoped with a bushnell elite 3x9x40 for many, many years. Great scope and warranty. In the areas I hunt, it would be a major handicap to not be scoped.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Reactions: Strizzi and Mike

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
Take a long look at the way you hunt, the distances you generally get shots and and the terrain. If you don't have a muzzleloader start there with a good inline. If you do then you can get much more bang for your buck out of a straight wall cartridge rifle than a shotgun unless you don't have a good one.

Look into 44 mag, 444 marlin, 45-70, 450 bushmaster, 350 legend best options out there unless you reload and then look into the 357max

I run 1.25-4x on my muzzy and rifles. Plenty of zoom for out to 200 yards and quick up close.

Strizzi

Take a long look at the way you hunt, the distances you generally get shots and and the terrain. If you don't have a muzzleloader start there with a good inline. If you do then you can get much more bang for your buck out of a straight wall cartridge rifle than a shotgun unless you don't have a good one.

Look into 44 mag, 444 marlin, 45-70, 450 bushmaster, 350 legend best options out there unless you reload and then look into the 357max

I run 1.25-4x on my muzzy and rifles. Plenty of zoom for out to 200 yards and quick up close.

Thanks for the tips! I do have an old hand me down muzzle loader my uncle gave to me about 10 years ago that I’ve used in the past and I’m just not a fan of muzzle loading.. I keep it and will hunt with it again but I’d like to have another gun for a primary. I do have a Benelli Montefeltro I use for duck/goose so I don’t really “need” another. I was originally leaning towards another 12g particularly a combo as a back up to my Benelli as well as a spare to get my brother in law back into some duck hunting but the more I’m researching .450 and .350 I’m liking what I see. I’ve pistol hunted with my .44mag in the past so getting a lever .44 is an option as well but I’m really digging the .450/.350 now that I’m actually looking into it it makes a lot of sense in the main property I hunt. I’ve had a lot of good deer a little too far out for my old 12g so a straight wall truly makes a lot of sense. Thanks again for the tips!

Reactions: hickslawns

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
44mag in rifle won't gain much over the pistol outside of being easier to steady. Might gain a little distance but I don't think it will be substantially more than a pistol. My neighbor has 44mag rifle and looking at 450 or 350. He was not happy with results this year. Not quite enough ka-pow he said.

If shotgun, I'd lean towards Savage 220 or 212 bolt action. They are another fan favorite. I have the 220 but keep kicking around the idea of a 450. No reason why other than an excuse to buy another gun. My 220 has killed everything it pointed at.

Strizzi

44mag in rifle won't gain much over the pistol outside of being easier to steady. Might gain a little distance but I don't think it will be substantially more than a pistol. My neighbor has 44mag rifle and looking at 450 or 350. He was not happy with results this year. Not quite enough ka-pow he said.

If shotgun, I'd lean towards Savage 220 or 212 bolt action. They are another fan favorite. I have the 220 but keep kicking around the idea of a 450. No reason why other than an excuse to buy another gun. My 220 has killed everything it pointed at.

12g is pretty much thrown out the door at this point. Minimal research over the last day has shown me the straight wall rifles are the way to go. I was being lazy to be honest I was going to stick with what I knew. But I think I’m more leaning .350 over the rest of the calibers at this point, probably the Ruger American or the Mossberg Patriot bolt action, both seem fairly interchangeable (I’ve only seen one negative review about the Mossberg and nothing bad about the Ruger) I’m going to do a bit more research and see if I can get my hands on either beforehand but I’m really in no rush 11 more months until gun season haha. .350 Seems like a very flat shooting and much cheaper ammo with plenty of knock down power. It almost feels wrong looking at rifles for Ohio hunting, but if this is wrong I don’t wanna be right.

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
I do have a Benelli Montefeltro I use for duck/goose so I don’t really “need” another. I was originally leaning towards another 12g particularly a combo as a back up to my Benelli as well as a spare to get my brother in law back into some duck hunting

You can not have too many guns.

Buy the straight-wall rifle first, whichever one you want.
Always be on the lookout for a bargain 12gauge combo and buy it if you can - even if you think you don't need it - it's a great thing to have.

The straight walls are great, and I love mine (.357 max, although I wouldn't recommend buying .357max unless you're into reloading - and even then I'd probably steer you away).
But damn, those 12ga copper solid sabots can knock a deer ass-over-teakettle. Very satisfying.
The combo is versatile. And there's the added bonus of then being able to participate in the 870/500 debate.

Reactions: Mike and Strizzi

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
I added a cantilevered rifled slug barrel to my Remington 1187 last year and started shooting the rifled sabot slugs through it. That was a huge improvement in accuracy compared to the standard sluggers. Of course they cost more to shoot but thats to be expected. I wouldn't have a slug gun without a scope. The scope adds a whole new dimension to the experience.

Wildlife

Denny
Supporting Member
Ross County, Ohio
Thought I'd pass this along. Was in my email box this morning.

https://www.midwayusa.com/s?promoti...t=main-image-link&utm_campaign=bushnell-nitro

I've used a Bushnell Bone Collector limited edition for my 12g shotgun for over a decade with no issues in all kinds of weather conditions. Works like a champ still today.
870MagExpress.jpg

Geezer II

Bountiful Hunting Grounds Beyond.
portage county oh
I liked my Rem 870 SP with rifled cantilever barrel w/ nikon scope shooting rem 3 inch copper solids - very accurate - i could switch out that barrel for my cantilever turkey barrel with red dot sight - being cantilever no need to rezero when switching barrels - dang i liked that setup

Reactions: CJD3 and "J"