Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

1023's Shoestring Acres Project

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Good upates Jesse. Probably feels a little weird living in your parents home? Like "home" but not really "your home" yet? I'm curious. When I go to Mom's it feels real welcoming. Yet, since having my own home the last 19yrs it is not "home" anymore going to Mom's. Just funny how time changes the Dynamics of things.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Yep. Feels like home, but in an odd new way. I doubt that feeling fully goes away either. But this helps...

20181121_225956.jpg

We've worked hard this week to get ready for tomorrow. This will be our first time hosting a family Thanksgiving and it's a great way to begin making it our home now. Projects like this help too...

20181121_201110.jpg

I have some work, or should I say purchases, left before this is done, but it's a start! My parents had an 8' colossus of an entertainment center before. It was so big, they didn't move it to paint. So we moved into a partially painted wall. Cured that. My wife has since redecorated beneath the TV, but it didn't stop me from enjoying some Meat Eater on Netflix!

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Hats off to you guys. You have certainly busted your butts getting it ready. I'd say you deserve some time away during gun season. Go kill a big one!

Reactions: bowhunter1023

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Oh, it's been discussed. Even an 80. 😎

So our old house had a galley kitchen. I had roughly 1/4 the work space for cooking and canning. This is much better!

20181122_082459.jpg

We are having some work done downstairs this winter and I'm having a gas line extended so we can go to a gas range. Although, this baby boils water way faster. I just hate the electronic tops.

The kitchen gives us some great living space, as does the deck/patio area out back. Kitchen on the right, master on the left. Decks need some work, but we'll get there. Roof in the spring with some nice dimensional shingles will really help!

20181122_084030.jpg

This is the view from the deck off the dining area and kitchen.

20181122_084054.jpg

And here's why we wanted to make this dream a reality!

20181122_084800.jpg

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Knocked a bunch of honey-do chores off the list yesterday, including a faucet/drain swap and hanging a bunch of stuff. But I also got a good start on one of the more exciting projects and that's the shooting house/food plot project. With all the pressure on the area, and the overall lack of cover on our place, I need to be creative about how I handle the hunting here now. Especially with K in the on deck circle.

I'll snap some photos soon, but I wandered around for almost an hour yesterday thinking about how I can "pull" deer to me in the late season. My future strategy will be built around muzzleloader to the close of season. The box blind will sit on the eastern edge of the woods and at the dead center of our long, narrow plot of land. They say it will be built, I should be able to get in/out without deer ever having a clue I'm there. I'll also be able to hunt it on nearly any wind but SE and E. Even then, I can keep the windows shut until go time.

With some chainsaw work, I can improve what little bedding I do have, plus I can open up a nice food plot within bow range of the blind. As the project progresses, I'll share more pics and a few overhead shots hopefully. It'll be a classic "micro" plot and property project. Unfortunately, it doesn't capitalize on the best funnel, but I simply blow off too many deer getting back there most days, so I'm going to favor consistent access over best deer travel.

Reactions: cspot and Sgt Fury