Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Wind direction question

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
In the fishing world they say that if the wind is out of the east the fish bite the least. West is best.

In the whitetail world, is there any correlation? I've never really paid any attention to deer movement and certain wind directions. I just, like all of you, use it to determine which stand I will hunt.

Any thoughts on wind direction and deer movement?

moundhill

Supporting Member
Hebbardsville..
Honestly I don't think the direction affects how much they move. But I think it affects where they move. I think they sometimes choose different directions or paths to correlate to the wind direction. They have that great sniffer so why not use it. That's my opinion.

Rutin

Ina Duck Blind
Honestly I cant say if it dictates weather they move more or less on different winds. I'm sure for some deer it plays a huge part, where said deer only has a small core area with limited beds to choose from. I would think they still move but maybe in a smaller area or if the wind is completely wrong they may just wait til dark to play it safe. I don't think wind direction is the key to their movement but it may be the key to how much they move from their bed site.

Buckmaster

Portage
If your nose was used to a West to East wind as normal wouldn't your nose be thrown off a little by something different maybe keeping you bed a little later?

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
If your nose was used to a West to East wind as normal wouldn't your nose be thrown off a little by something different maybe keeping you bed a little later?

That's kind of why I was asking or even thinking about this. Monday is a possible day off, but the weather channel says wind is out of the east. I have a stand for that, but is movement slowed by that?
I've honestly never paid that much attention to sightings based on wind direction.

Buckmaster

Portage
If there's a hot girl in the area all bets are off. Just go hunt no matter what the wind.

Clear skies at night trouble my areas too. Makes for better mid day movement though.

CritterGitterToo

Central Ohio
The only thing that influences deer movement in regard to the wind is strong or light. Light winds won't keep deer bedded no matter the direction IMO. I believe the forcast for my area on Monday is light E to SE wind of 5-8mph. I will be hunting all day if I don't get one tomorrow or Sunday.

Buckmaster said:
If there's a hot girl in the area all bets are off. Just go hunt no matter what the wind.
I have to agree with this logic. The rut will change many things about how/when deer move.

cotty16,
I've noticed less deer activity during an east or north wind, which might be more area related. However, I've noticed it all over Ohio, while hunting and/or fishing. They've got to eat, but they might not travel their normal route due to the wind direction and eat somewhere else. It pays to know where else they could be eating and/or sleeping.

The original statement goes like this:
Wind from the north, don't go forth.
Wind from the east, fishing is the least.
Wind from the west, fishing is the best.
Wind from the south, blows the bait in their mouth.

Bowhunter57

Lundy

I don't personally believe that wind direction has much impact, if any, in deer activity. The barometric pressure change often accompanied by a change in wind direction might however.

The bucks I killed the last 2 years were both on a North wind. The only reason I know that is because that is the only wind direction that I can hunt that area.

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
The barometric pressure change often accompanied by a change in wind direction might however.

I think that is the real deal. i have not seen much movement on an east wind, but that might be because I don't have many sets for that wind. I do believe the barometer has more of an effect than the direction of the wind.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia

I never have luck on E wind days and I correlate it to this thought. We as hunters are rarely prepared for an E wind and IMO, deer are in the same boat.

Rutin

Ina Duck Blind
Good luck bud!

Others say North winds aren't good but I find them great for deer movement! Usually its a big change in barometric pressure due to a cold front coming out of Canada. But what do I know......