Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Wild game Hotpot

INGREDIENTS

olive oil

1 lb ground, shredded or cubed meat of your choosing. (I used elk burger this time.)

1 lb sliced mushrooms

1 large onion finely chopped

5 garlic cloves minced

1/2 cup white wine. (I used a chardonnay)

2 pounds cooked lentils

1 tbsp miso paste. (You don't have to use miso paste, but it really adds to the flavor of this dish.)

2 cups chicken stock

1/2 cup cream

1 tbsp cornstarch mixed with 1 tbsp water

1/4 cup parsley finely chopped

3-4 medium potatoes finely sliced

salt & freshly ground black pepper

INSTRUCTIONS

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.

Start boiling lentils until soft. Normally, it takes 15-20 minutes.

Brown, whatever meat you choose to use. I used the ground elk burger this time. However, canned and shreaded squirrel or venison would be good. If you are using the same pan, remove and set aside until later.

Heat a 10-12 inch cast iron or oven safe pan. Coat the pan in oil to sautee the mushrooms and onions 3-4 minutes on each side, or until softened and browned.

Add the garlic and scrap the bottom of the pan

Increase the heat to high and pour in the wine. Allow to simmer for 2-3 minutes until almost evaporated. Return the heat back to medium and add the miso paste, chicken broth, and cream. Stir until will incorporated, then whisk in the starch to thicken the sauce. Simmer for 8-10 minutes, stirring regularly, until thickened. Remove from the heat.

Layer your meat of choice over the top of the mushroom onion sauce. Then, add a final layer of the cooked lentils. If you dont want layers, you can just mix it all together.

Lay the potato slices over the mushroom filling in an overlapping spiral pattern. Brush the potatoes with oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Place the pan in the oven on the middle rack and bake for 45-55 minutes. The potatoes should be golden brown and fully cooked. A trick I use is to place a few extra slices of potatoes on top to test if the top is done without ruining the design.
1000008992.jpg

Last edited: