Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Which Tactic

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
As most of you know I've been gone for a while, and with that I've gotten 0 scout time in our area.... One of my spots have been sold off and no more hunting allowed.... My main farm that I hunt has two ladder stands hat have been in place all summer and will need shooting lanes cut and cleaned up a little....
Talked too my buddy who hunts the same area and he said the rainy summer has produced very high weeds and the back stand I use will be a chore too see deer approaching....
I'm planning on cleaning up shooting lanes in the morning and shoot the bow some with my buddy, which brings up the trail cameras that I haven't run at all this year.... What's y'all's opinions on starting now or just blowing it off until after season???? My gut says too not do it but my curiosity says do it lol.....
I'm fishing a tourney which is the last of the season Saturday so I'll be missing opening day and the wife's throwing me a coming party Saturday night and I'll probably be in no shape Sunday morning lol.... But I'll be out all next week..... More scouting from the stand then shooting unless a very mature doe or buck makes it way by.....
Wish me luck lol.... The most unprepared I've ever been lol.....

Dustinb80

#FACKCANCER
Supporting Member
S.W. Ohio
As most of you know I've been gone for a while, and with that I've gotten 0 scout time in our area.... One of my spots have been sold off and no more hunting allowed.... My main farm that I hunt has two ladder stands hat have been in place all summer and will need shooting lanes cut and cleaned up a little....
Talked too my buddy who hunts the same area and he said the rainy summer has produced very high weeds and the back stand I use will be a chore too see deer approaching....
I'm planning on cleaning up shooting lanes in the morning and shoot the bow some with my buddy, which brings up the trail cameras that I haven't run at all this year.... What's y'all's opinions on starting now or just blowing it off until after season???? My gut says too not do it but my curiosity says do it lol.....
I'm fishing a tourney which is the last of the season Saturday so I'll be missing opening day and the wife's throwing me a coming party Saturday night and I'll probably be in no shape Sunday morning lol.... But I'll be out all next week..... More scouting from the stand then shooting unless a very mature doe or buck makes it way by.....
Wish me luck lol.... The most unprepared I've ever been lol.....

That's aweful nice :pickle:

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Good luck and welcome back. When I need to cut brush, move or install stands I try to get in a day before a forecasted rain. If you can work in the rain all the better. I think the rain cleans up my scent or I hope so anyway.

Strother23

Columbus, OH
I would run trail cams. The curiosity would eat me up. Knowing there are shooters in the area makes it easier to put in long hrs in the stand. Good luck to you.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
My expectations aren't high for a good shooter, but you never know what strolls by during the rut lol....
Forecasted rain isn't until Wednesday/Thursday next week....

Outdoorsfellar

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Just do it. I remember years & years ago I had drug my wooden ladder stand over one hundred yards thru the woods to a new spot, making all sorts of racket towards the end of October.The very next morning I had a heavy buck with one main beam broke off come right up to me following the same path I had used. You'll be glad to have cleared things up & have your cams out.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
When our expectations are the lowest, it seems we are often thrown a bone. I don't think it matters what you do J. You will be alright. Fish haven't been biting all day? Awww heck, one more cast. . . .whopper on!!! Golf game sucks all day. Head is down watching your feet as you walk in frustration, and wham! Best drive all day. Just let happen what happens. I know darn well you will enjoy being out there whether killing deer or not.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Phil you're exactly right.... I'll have fun just taking it all in, just don't want too over think myself right out of a shooter if ones in the area lol.....
We passed on a lot of younger bucks last year and we'll see what becomes of it.....

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Go cut your lanes, hang your stands and cameras, whatever you enjoy doing. The deer you kill in November could care less what you did in September, but it will make a world of difference to you if it's what you enjoy doing...and it helps to be able to get an arrow in 'em if they come by.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Just do what I am doing this year J. Run no cams and just go from what you have learned from years past. You know where deer travel and how they use the land so unless something drastic has happened to change that they will do the same thing every year. Only thing that changes is the size of the bucks and number of deer on the property. I got all caught up on cams and forgot what hunting was all about. Use your wisdom J and go shoot a slob of a buck buddy.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Go cut your lanes, hang your stands and cameras, whatever you enjoy doing. The deer you kill in November could care less what you did in September, but it will make a world of difference to you if it's what you enjoy doing...and it helps to be able to get an arrow in 'em if they come by.

I agree with this. If it were me, I'd go do it all in or right before the rain. As far as the cameras go, hang those puppies. Don't rely on them, but use them just to see what is out there. Regardless, just have fun and enjoy getting back to your regular life!

rsmith

I would run trail cams. The curiosity would eat me up. Knowing there are shooters in the area makes it easier to put in long hrs in the stand. Good luck to you.
What he said, it doesn't hurt to throw a couple cams up and maybe check it a day before you hunt, just make sure you are scent free. And that's very nice of her to throw you a party! Sucks that all your spots got sold though, hopefully this one will produce for you.

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio

Ya. What he said.

Being out there doing it will be good for you! I always felt its so much more than just a harvest J. It the whole package.
Get out there and hang the cams and trim the shooting lanes. Plenty of time for it to cool down.

Welcome back home!
I will hunt bunnies w/ you this season come hell or high water...