Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Which season was better for you personally?

Milo

Tatonka guide.
the hunting experience changes so much from year to year that Better is too subjective to give ample comparison.

Mountaineer

Banned
WV
I think Milo is right..every year is different..In o9..I had several oppurtunities on the first day of slug..I passed on a 120 inch 10 point at first light and then at 12:30 pm a buck got caught out in the open timber and was being blasted at..he ran the gauntlet and got by me..i couldnt shoot..runnin too fast..he was proabably a 130 class 10 point and then at 3:30 pm a giant 150 class came sneaking thru..I had him at 80 yards but couldnt shoot..just too thick..i had to let him go..it was sickening..I didnt see another buck until friday of slug season..I had a nice 125 inch 8 point right about 30 yards from me..he stood there until dark..I decided to pass on em...However..I found his sheds in the thicket he came out of...

In 2010..I hunted Ohio 4 times...3 day period during the first week of Nov..I came back for 2 days in Mid Nov...I came again for slug season..and then once again for the 2 day slug exstension...In the 4 times i hunted ohio this year..I saw a Giant 150 class 8 point the first week of Nov..he ran by me too fast..and then i saw a hugh 160 class 10 point at the publicland parking lot..I didnt get to my spot until around noon..as i was gathering my stuff out of the truck a doe must of heard me clanging around..she started snorting at me..( this is at the parkling lot..mind you)..i decided to mess with her..i got my grunt tube and gave a few grunts..holy shit..the brush started cracking and here comes this hugh buck..17 yards from me..my bow was still in the truck..i stood there and watched him..once he saw me he bolted..all i could do is laugh about it.
Anyway..i came back for that 2 day slug and tracked down this buck..Not sure which season was better..They were both fun and exciting.:smiley_bril:

Last edited:

Mountaineer

Banned
WV
lol..Hicks I know..Sad thing is..My buddy spent half the day shed hunting in our spot and he only cut 3 sets of tracks..No sheds of course..I just talked to him and he's pisseed..lol.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
lol..Hicks I know..Sad thing is..My buddy spent half the day shed hunting in our spot and he only cut 3 sets of tracks..No sheds of course..I just talked to him and he's pisseed..lol.

Maybe they followed the squirrels. He should have followed the tracks. Wherever they end up is the same place all the deer in the county are hiding. Least that's what the DNR want's us to believe.