Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

When's your bowcation?

angelzd28

Sorry to hear tpeirce......

Nov 3rd - 13th for me this year. Already had an exciting hunt this past Saturday, had a big main frame 10 chase a doe past my stand at 35 yds, just couldn't get a shot. He pushed her around at about 70 yds for the next 15 minutes until dropping back into the ravine, I was shaking like a leaf the rest of the hunt! Should be a good next couple of weeks. Good luck to everyone heading out.

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
I've been kind of quiet on here. My wife's mom is 86 and will probably pass on in the next day or 2. She lost her dad in June, and now this, so not sure if it's in the cards for me to get out this year. But I sure enjoy reading about all your experiences. It's great to live vicariously thru you. She says she wants me to go next week, but I don't know if I can do it. I'd probably feel like shit. You know how women have a way of saying what they want you to do when they really don't. Any advice from experienced?

Kinda in a similar situation - my wife's parents are staying at her sister's and everyone is pitching in taking turns with the caretaking right now. I've modified my normal gone-all-weekend style to a strategy of staying close to home in case needed, and dropping over to public land about 20 mins away to get in a quick sit maybe once a weekend. I made the decision months ago that this deer season was screwed - owing to a wedding scheduled on opening day (breaking my tradition) and knowing that her dad's health is precarious. I'm intent on showing her and the family that people are more important than deer. That being said, I've let 'em know I'm out of town at the beginning of gun season, but being flexible in my approach.

And yes, your instinct is absolutely correct - she's telling you to go, and probably means it in her head, but her heart will love it when you stay with her. You got the rest of your life to hunt, but this time is only here once.

tpierce

Yeah, I'm thinking at this point I'll go all in gun week. Honestly, I'd love to finally get a nice buck, but I'll be very happy if I get a doe for the freezer. My wife is an only child, with no other living relatives. Me and my family is the only people she has. I think her mom's death will be really hard on her.

lungpuncher1

I'm going to try Nov 16-22 this year. SE Ohio. I'd hunted earlier the last 3 years and its either small bucks cruising only or complete lockdown.

I hear people say the bigger deer are on their feet more the 3rd week. What's everyone's experience with that theory?