Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

When was your deer hunting 'hay' day?

oakswamper

around Toledo
My favorite time to hunt was the late 70's early 80's, not because I saw a lot of deer but when I did get one or a buddy got one it was fun to have family and friends come see it. I know that doesn't make sense now but back then in wood county, not a lot of guys were successful. I don't remember what year they started the draw for does but it was sure exciting to wait for the mailman on the Wednesday before Thanksgiving lol

I built my house in 89 in Western Lucas county, it was different hunting for me because I was used to hunting 30 acre patch woods and now I'm hunting big sections of woods. I'm gonna say around 97 the deer population really took off with the peak around 06 to 09 and I noticed the decline starting around 13

I'd say 2008 and 2009 were when deer numbers peaked where I hunt in Ohio. But, I've never seen numbers of deer in Ohio per a day of hunting like I did in Indiana County in PA in the mid 1970's.

Interesting to see Indiana County mentioned on here lol.....I grew up in Indiana County (this being in the 90's though) and can honestly say after hunting NY, OH, WV, and Northern PA that the deer and turkey hunting up until about 2004 was by far and known the best I have experienced.

Interesting to see Indiana County mentioned on here lol.....I grew up in Indiana County (this being in the 90's though) and can honestly say after hunting NY, OH, WV, and Northern PA that the deer and turkey hunting up until about 2004 was by far and known the best I have experienced.

I hunted near the little town of Starford, not to far from Clymer. Had some great hamburgers at Raytays in Clymer. Actually the little town I hunted in was Pioneer, but I never saw a sign designating I was in Pioneer.

bigten05

*Supporting Member*
knox county ohio
im gonna have to say the early 2000s to 2009 the amount of deer i saw and number of big bucks was unbelievable. i started hunting with dad when i was 7 years old so ive been hunting 22 years now it took me 5 hunting seasons to shoot my first deer but i stuck with it. if i knew what i know now back then id have some real dandys on the wall.