Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

When does it end? Wildlife officer BS.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Milo - Wasn't there an issue here with someone shooting a buck behind the IGA with no permission? Wasn't that someone in LEO or ODNR?

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Couldn't remember his name or the full story. When I hear about this or that during the seasons I mostly don't file it in the "remember" portion of the brain. It is usually conjecture. This one had some traction I just never followed up on it.

Milo

Tatonka guide.
yep that was old Toby "Your gonna make a career change and go into the FBI cause your as bad as most of them" Medley..taking a video from someone that video'd him takin a deer out of a place that he should not have been...Thats the story i heard from very credible sources at the time

Last edited:

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Don't worry ole JBrown will be around shortly. :smiley_clap:

yeah, but even JB is getting sick of the stupid stuff the DNR is doing and getting away with.

Two thing....

1) Beentown, you fugger... lmao
2) RC is right... I AM starting to get sick of some of this. I don't try to defend the ODNR for things that are OBVIOUS fuckups, and this situation is most certainly an obvious fuckup that should be dealt with.

What's the status on the Brown County situation? It was almost identical to this, right? Only hunting licenses instead of fishing I think. That county prosecutor is still coming down hard on that one right?

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Two thing....

1) Beentown, you fugger... lmao
2) RC is right... I AM starting to get sick of some of this. I don't try to defend the ODNR for things that are OBVIOUS fuckups, and this situation is most certainly an obvious fuckup that should be dealt with.

What's the status on the Brown County situation? It was almost identical to this, right? Only hunting licenses instead of fishing I think. That county prosecutor is still coming down hard on that one right?

No.. They tried to sweep it under the rug again... So the federal USFWS got involved... I have a feeling this stems from that investigation... I bet the lids about to blow wide open...

Also.. Why does it have to be an obvious fuckup before you don't give them the benefit of the doubt. ... I think they've already proven their willingness to not only blatantly disregard the law but to also cover it up.. I think their credibility is shot after trying to cover it up. And I'm not talking small fish here.. We're talking all the way to District directors.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
No.. They tried to sweep it under the rug again... So the federal USFWS got involved... I have a feeling this stems from that investigation... I bet the lids about to blow wide open...

Also.. Why does it have to be an obvious fuckup before you don't give them the benefit of the doubt. ... I think they've already proven their willingness to not only blatantly disregard the law but to also cover it up.. I think their credibility is shot after trying to cover it up. And I'm not talking small fish here.. We're talking all the way to District directors.

Ok, this is another topic in itself, but when I say "obvious" I mean things that cannot be denied... or things that don't really have "another side to the story." What I was referring to is, I will stick up for the DNR when it comes to bag limits and harvest data because I believe they're honestly trying to do what's best for Ohioans... all Ohioans. Just because some guys think there aren't enough deer running around isn't going to change my own personal opinion on the matter. There are just as many guys that think there are plenty of deer running around this state. Again, this is neither here nor there in regards to this thread... Just explaining what I meant by the word obvious. Maybe "obvious" wasn't the best choice of words.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
bowhunters in Ohio are very uninformed... So what you say about how "just as many think there are plenty" doesn't hold much water with me. A large percentage of them are not as observant, or dedicated as the people on these sites.. Believe it or not buddy we here on these sites are the cream of the crop when it comes to hunters... To us this is an undying passion of which we can never get enough of... The large majority of hunters out there put up a feeder, hunt the same stand for 20 years, and might go hunting if they're bored on a Saturday... They shoot the first deer that walks in and they climb down proudly proclaiming "I got my buck, or "i got a doe 3 weeks ago"....... I don;t give two craps what they "think" of the deer numbers... Any boob with a bag of corn and a sharp stick can shoot a deer... On the other hand a smaller subset sit for days on end watching doe after doe and scrub buck after scrub buck not shooting a one.. It's when that guy say's he's seeing far less deer this year than 4 years ago that I begin to worry... It's that guys opinion i value, not some army fatigues bob who is a one and done deer hunter. The vast majority of them do not have the ass in a stand time to even come to a conclusion of deer numbers... Long as they shoot one everything is ok.

That guys sets up a feeder and shoots the first deer that walks up.. Game over.. He has no clue how many might have came in afterwards.. That's going to be the style of the majority of ohios deer hunters.... Where as others hold out, they watch constantly, they know that 4 years ago they could see 14 deer a night at that feeder, but now only 2... And cameras don't lie... For years a guy got tens of thousands of pics on the same cams at the same feeders, nothings changed.. Then 4 years later he's only getting 30% that number of pics.. There is only one answer for that.. Less deer.

Truth is though, for me It isn't about the matter or more vs less deer that chaps my ass so much.... It is about the DNRs obvious agenda of drastically lowering the numbers while being deceptive, secretive, and down right lying about their true goals.. They know damn well that if they spilled the beans on their true agenda (which is making insurance lobbyist happy) the hunting community would be up in arms. They know the majority is like the ones i spoke of earlier; and as long as they don't open the horses mouth, those people will never see the true impact... And if they do, by then the goals will be met and the DNR can pretend to care.... So instead they rely on deceptive numbers, excuses, and misleading statements to keep it under wraps. I don't mind stupid shit a government agency does to appease lobbyist.. I'm over that, happens everyday... But don't piss down my back and tell me it's rain.

Last edited:

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
bowhunters in Ohio are very uninformed... So what you say about how "just as many think there are plenty" doesn't hold much water with me. A large percentage of them are not as observant, or dedicated as the people on these sites.. Believe it or not buddy we here on these sites are the cream of the crop when it comes to hunters... To us this is an undying passion of which we can never get enough of... The large majority of hunters out there put up a feeder, hunt the same stand for 20 years, and might go hunting if they're bored on a Saturday... They shoot the first deer that walks in and they climb down proudly proclaiming "I got my buck, or "i got a doe 3 weeks ago"....... I don;t give two craps what they "think" of the deer numbers... Any boob with a bag of corn and a sharp stick can shoot a deer... On the other hand a smaller subset sit for days on end watching doe after doe and scrub buck after scrub buck not shooting a one.. It's when that guy say's he's seeing far less deer this year than 4 years ago that I begin to worry... It's that guys opinion i value, not some army fatigues bob who is a one and done deer hunter. The vast majority of them do not have the ass in a stand time to even come to a conclusion of deer numbers... Long as they shoot one everything is ok.

That guys sets up a feeder and shoots the first deer that walks up.. Game over.. He has no clue how many might have came in afterwards.. That's going to be the style of the majority of ohios deer hunters.... Where as others hold out, they watch constantly, they know that 4 years ago they could see 14 deer a night at that feeder, but now only 2... And cameras don't lie... For years a guy got tens of thousands of pics on the same cams at the same feeders, nothings changed.. Then 4 years later he's only getting 30% that number of pics.. There is only one answer for that.. Less deer.

Truth is though, for me It isn't about the matter or more vs less deer that chaps my ass so much.... It is about the DNRs obvious agenda of drastically lowering the numbers while being deceptive, secretive, and down right lying about their true goals.. They know damn well that if they spilled the beans on their true agenda (which is making insurance lobbyist happy) the hunting community would be up in arms. They know the majority is like the ones i spoke of earlier; and as long as they don't open the horses mouth, those people will never see the true impact... And if they do, by then the goals will be met and the DNR can pretend to care.... So instead they rely on deceptive numbers, excuses, and misleading statements to keep it under wraps. I don't mind stupid shit a government agency does to appease lobbyist.. I'm over that, happens everyday... But don't piss down my back and tell me it's rain.

I knew I shouldn't have said anything.......

I'm simply not seeing what you're seeing, man... that's all. I hunt NE Ohio, I hunt NW Ohio on occasion, and I hunt SE Ohio publicland... have been for the past 9 or 10 years... I even spend the majority of my days driving around the countryside for work... and I haven't seen any decrease in deer sightings. Actually, I'd be more likely to claim an increase than a decrease. You have your opinion and I have mine.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I cannot throw in much on this one. I don't have the years in a tree stand experience which most of you have. All I know is there are certainly some specific properties which are plentiful with deer. My week in Hocking/Vinton counties showed me tons of deer. HOwever, they had food plots out the ying yang. Same goes for NW Ohio. We are seeing deer numbers on our properties unlike anything we have ever seen. Then again, we have put in some serious food plots which are drawing them in. If I had to guess, there will be some surrounding property owners this year which feel the deer numbers are down. I will be smiling and shooting every doe I get a shot at this year (until I run out of tags).

epe

Lancaster
Ok, this is another topic in itself, but when I say "obvious" I mean things that cannot be denied... or things that don't really have "another side to the story." What I was referring to is, I will stick up for the DNR when it comes to bag limits and harvest data because I believe they're honestly trying to do what's best for Ohioans... all Ohioans. Just because some guys think there aren't enough deer running around isn't going to change my own personal opinion on the matter. There are just as many guys that think there are plenty of deer running around this state. Again, this is neither here nor there in regards to this thread... Just explaining what I meant by the word obvious. Maybe "obvious" wasn't the best choice of words.
If you think they are doing what is best for All Ohio hunters I take it you have NO clue about waterfowling in Ohio then? The big hunt clubs set the season dates...

matt hougan

Dayton area
No different that insurance lobbyist putting pressure on the ODNR..... Funny.. Seems like they listen to everybody except the 750,000 license buyers..

What your suggesting is the insurance companies are attepting to solicit more generous bag limits on deer from the ODNR to reduce accident claims from vehicle vs deer collisions. Never thought about that. Do we have any proof of this or is this speculation?

Being a professnal LEO I find it very disturbing. I also know Steve Graham personally. He has has sveral black eyes since taking the Chiefs job. None worse than the Miami County GW baiting fields then writing tickets to folks hunting those fields. Said there was trememdous pressure to write tickets, what ever!

Like Jbrown I still hold the ODNR in high regard. Most of them are top notch folks doing a thankless job for far less than I would do it. If Kasich has his way they'll make even less. We can look forward to a reduction in the quality of GW cadets in the future if HB 5 sticks.

I have often wodered what would happen if hunters boycotted buying hunting licenses. How many would it take for the ODNR to listen.

Last edited:

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
If you think they are doing what is best for All Ohio hunters I take it you have NO clue about waterfowling in Ohio then? The big hunt clubs set the season dates...

Please don't try to insult me. I know plenty about waterfowling in Ohio, broseph... I grew up with those private duck clubs practically in my back yard. IMO, the waterfowl season dates this year are set up better than they ever have been.

See here's the thing, no matter what the situation is, you're always gonna have some people that aren't happy, no matter what the decision is. And the worst thing about that is the ones with a bad taste in their mouth are ALWAYS going to make themselves heard, moreso than the "happy" folks. It's like, someone that has a good experience at a restaurant might tell five people... but someone who has a bad experience will tell fifty.

camofry

*Supporting Member*
What your suggesting is the insurance companies are attepting to solicit more generous bag limits on deer from the ODNR to reduce accident claims from vehicle vs deer collisions. Never thought about that. Do we have any proof of this or is this speculation?

Being a professnal LEO I find it very disturbing. I also know Steve Graham personally. He has has sveral black eyes since taking the Chiefs job. None worse than the Miami County GW baiting fields then writing tickets to folks hunting those fields. Said there was trememdous pressure to write tickets, what ever!

Like Jbrown I still hold the ODNR in high regard. Most of them are top notch folks doing a thankless job for far less than I would do it. If Kasich has his way they'll make even less. We can look forward to a reduction in the quality of GW cadets in the future if HB 5 sticks.

I have often wodered what would happen if hunters boycotted buying hunting licenses. How many would it take for the ODNR to listen.

To keep from getting off topic here, I will just say that a lot of this statement is more of the two headed coin. :smiley_chinrub:

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I knew I shouldn't have said anything.......

I'm simply not seeing what you're seeing, man... that's all. I hunt NE Ohio, I hunt NW Ohio on occasion, and I hunt SE Ohio publicland... have been for the past 9 or 10 years... I even spend the majority of my days driving around the countryside for work... and I haven't seen any decrease in deer sightings. Actually, I'd be more likely to claim an increase than a decrease. You have your opinion and I have mine.

Yep, you have your opinion, and I have mine... Wanna take a gander though buddy at how many side with me vs you though?

Last years muzzy season was Down 29%
Last years gun week Down 8%
73 or the 88 counties saw a reduction in harvest totals last year for muzzy with the average decrease for the 73 counties was 30.7%..
Overall there was a 9.5% decrease in season total harvest numbers.

I'll go out on a limb here man and say there are plenty in those counties that would disagree with your opinion..

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Yep, you have your opinion, and I have mine... Wanna take a gander though buddy at how many side with me vs you though?

Last years muzzy season was Down 29%
Last years gun week Down 8%
73 or the 88 counties saw a reduction in harvest totals last year for muzzy with the average decrease for the 73 counties was 30.7%..
Overall there was a 9.5% decrease in season total harvest numbers.

I'll go out on a limb here man and say there are plenty in those counties that would disagree with your opinion..

I still think it is area specific. To argue a point for Joe, you also have to consider the increased bag limits in the state. How many counties changed from a 2 deer to a 4 deer county last year? There was an increase in the quantity of deer available last year as well. This does not coincide with the decrease in harvest. I personally know a lot more people hunting, getting back into it or just taking it up. Money is tight and people are literally trying to put food on the table by hunting.

I agree with JB and Matt though in regards to the people at the ODNR. I think "most" of them are good intentioned people working a thankless job. Unfortunately, the powers that be which make many of the rules are not the local officers which are understaffed and overworked. Those are the people that don't get the credit they deserve.