Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Whats your superstition?

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I like to get myself 99.9% ready for the hunt, sit down in my seat, take a deep breath, let the sounds fill my ears and give thanks for a few seconds. When I open my eyes, I'm 100% ready and it's time to enjoy the hunt ahead. Life is rarely better than it is at that moment...

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
I like to get myself 99.9% ready for the hunt, sit down in my seat, take a deep breath, let the sounds fill my ears and give thanks for a few seconds. When I open my eyes, I'm 100% ready and it's time to enjoy the hunt ahead. Life is rarely better than it is at that moment...

Absolutely! I tell my wife every year that if everyone would go out on an October morning, watch the sun rise, take it all in, we would have a lot less problems in the world!

Buckmaster

Portage
"I fast for 3 days while only drink'n apple juice before the big hunt."
"I love to sleep naked in my sleeping bag in my tee-pee without my Buddy Heater no matter what the temperature is."
"This man needs no wake up watch since I rise with the howl of the coyote down at the WN"
"I assure my main hunting is clear and void from all corn piles from basecamp to the stands within the big woods."
"This man doesn't use supplementals such Mircle Grow."
"I hunt big woods rolling hill country only."
"I don't believe in trail cams."
"I don't like to spend money."
"I stroke my bows (all 300 of them) before each hunt."
"I share my camp with all, bowyers, string gunners, and the orange army. All are welcome."
"I've never shot a big buck; but I like to talk about it, alot!"

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
"I fast for 3 days while only drink'n apple juice before the big hunt."
"I love to sleep naked in my sleeping bag in my tee-pee without my Buddy Heater no matter what the temperature is."
"This man needs no wake up watch since I rise with the howl of the coyote down at the WN"
"I assure my main hunting is clear and void from all corn piles from basecamp to the stands within the big woods."
"This man doesn't use supplementals such Mircle Grow."
"I hunt big woods rolling hill country only."
"I don't believe in trail cams."
"I don't like to spend money."
"I stroke my bows (all 300 of them) before each hunt."
"I share my camp with all, bowyers, string gunners, and the orange army. All are welcome."
"I've never shot a big buck; but I like to talk about it, alot!"

Quick, MODS delete this account, Coonie has hacked Buckmaster's account!

Good one! rotflmao

Rutin

Ina Duck Blind
I would say my biggest superstesion is to wear the same outter clothes on days that I encounter mature deer, of course spraying before each hunt. I also do the same with arrows as alot of guys.

Every year I let my wife pick one arrow out of my case and she gets the right good luck things on the vanes, this year my 1 yr old son will get to do the same.

I always say a little prayer before each hunt just for the chance to get out and enjoy the wild outdoors and today were the day I was meant to encounter my dream buck let me shoot straight and harvest quickly. Im not super religious but I believe that everybody should be thankful for the things we get to enjoy every year.

NOW..... on to so crazy shit..... My buddy in IN will wash all his household laundry, clothes, towels, ect in scent free detergent starting two months out from season. He will not eat onions, peppers, garlic and a whole list of things due to belief of it seeping through his pores. Now this one FREAKED me out when he did it the first year I met him..... Every time he pee's he has to spray his junk and hands with scent killer no matter where he is if he is hunting that day!!!! BAhahaaha F'n crazy!!!

Those are just a few I can think of for now......

Redhunter1012

Supporting Member
I always say thanks before pulling my bow up. I always lightly blow on my arrow vanes before knocking it, don't know why. And if I fart, I always lift my right ass cheek, again, I don't know why

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Great thread idea Jim!

Once I'm on stand, I always say a prayer for safety and opportunity. Lord, just give me an opportunity.
Don't really have a deer hunting superstition yet.

The strongest of ALL superstitions I have came from my grandpa - In my reasoning mind, I know there is no validity to it and God doesn't care...but...
I would never be able to go dove hunting. My grandpa (who was no saint, mind you) was adamant about not shooting doves - he said that the dove was a special bird in God's eye, because that's the form he took once as a sign confiming his son Jesus...he would have kicked any of our asses if we even talked about shooting a dove....threw hunters off his land for asking to dove hunt....

Sorry JB:smiley_blackeye: almost didn't post this

LOL... took me way to long to see this! Whatever floats your boat, Dan-O. :) That all makes a lot of sense........ But I just can't get over the fact that doves are so damn tasty!!!

I really don't have any real superstitions when it comes to hunting. I make my hunt preparations long and deliberate, though... Kind of a way to "get in the zone." I usually have an arrow that is the only one I fling at deer, until of course it's no longer useable. But the one thing I try to do each and every time I settle into a treestand or ground blind is to thank the good Lord for another opportunity to enjoy his creation, and I ask that he look out for my fellow hunters that day as well.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
LOL... took me way to long to see this! Whatever floats your boat, Dan-O. :) That all makes a lot of sense........ But I just can't get over the fact that doves are so damn tasty!!!

I really don't have any real superstitions when it comes to hunting. I make my hunt preparations long and deliberate, though... Kind of a way to "get in the zone." I usually have an arrow that is the only one I fling at deer, until of course it's no longer useable. But the one thing I try to do each and every time I settle into a treestand or ground blind is to thank the good Lord for another opportunity to enjoy his creation, and I ask that he look out for my fellow hunters that day as well.

AMEN! I can;t wait for Dove Season!

buckbuster217

*Supporting Member*
Byesville, Ohio
I always thank the man upstairs for the oppurtunity and the health to pursue my passion once up in my stand and when I get ready to shoot I always clip my release on my d-loop and then unhook it and clip it on again to ensure its on good!!!, had a shot on a good buck several years ago and my release was not hooked on good and halfway back in my draw , Twang! it was ugly to say the least!!!

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Not.really a superstitious person... so I really don't have any rituals that I go through when I get too the stand.... but.I do thank the good lord when I am successful weather hunting or fishing.....

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
Not.really a superstitious person... so I really don't have any rituals that I go through when I get too the stand.... but.I do thank the good lord when I am successful weather hunting or fishing.....

I would have thought by now you, as "seasoned outdoors man" (like me) would have grasped some sort of little thing that was associated with success J.
Now I fully agree that thanking the good lord is right... but comon; no lucky knife or anything? lol

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
dotto to eating tenderloin from the previous season the night before the opener.

The morning I killed my first turkey this year, as I was getting dressed, I noticed a pair of wristbands on my dresser. the fleece elastic kind that athletes wear. These have skull and crossbones on them. On a whim I decided to put them on. I scored that day and I think it will become a "good luck charm" to wear those when I hunt from now on.

only other thing I can think of, I keep a cigar in my pack, for when I kill. After the shot I listen to see if I can hear what direction it went. then I light up my victory cigar. It is not only a celebration but it gives me something to do for the half hour or so I am waiting before I look for blood and start trailing.
Last year it was a honeyberry backwoods, I think this year it will be a blueberry swisher sweet.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
I would have thought by now you, as "seasoned outdoors man" (like me) would have grasped some sort of little thing that was associated with success J.
Now I fully agree that thanking the good lord is right... but comon; no lucky knife or anything? lol

Me and knives really never get along.... either breaking them or losing them.... never have one longer then a season lol.... really can't think of a thing that I would constantly do out of the ordinary for good luck lol....