Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

What Was Your First Hunting Bow/Crossbow?

5Cent

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
North Central Ohio
Darton Renegade XT bought new in either 97 or 98. Killed many does and my first buck with it. Was my primary bow until 2010.

Now a Diamond Black Ice FLX. As long as it slings arrows, and I can hit my target, I'm a happy man! Someday I'll buy a real bow lol...

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I started out with a PSE Foxfire cross bow of my grandpa's. Never killed anything with it. Moved up to a Barnett Quad crossbow. Got my first compound (PSE Nova) in 2001 or 2002. Used it until 2005 when I bought my Mathews Switchback XT and have used it ever since.

I also had a PSE Foxfire crossbow but never killed anything with it. Bought it used at a flea market. It had a adjustable scope base for yardage on it that worked good. I sold it when I went to my Hickory Creek Draw-Loc system couple years ago.
I sold the PSE Foxfire to a guy in Indiana when crossbows became legal there couple years ago. I wish him well with it.

steveOh

Dayton Area
Bought a Horton Hunter Crossbow in 1991 and still using it. In 2001 bought a Martin Panther compound which I also still shoot. Both are the only ones I own. Time for an upgrade???:smiley_chinrub:

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
I had a Horton Hunter as my first crossbow TOO! Can't find any pictures of it, probably because I didn't own a digital camera yet. :smiley_crocodile: Sold it after a few years and bought my Jennings Airmaster...

Then I shot a Parker Hornet for a couple seasons...

Now I'm shooting lasers out of my Strother Infinity...

Redhunter1012

Supporting Member
I had an old Barnett xbow that my dad let me use. Id walk down the road about 3/4 mile to a set of treelins and plop down on an old stump wearing my army camo's. I never killed anything with it but I did miss a few. Then my Jr. year in high school I bought a used Martin Lynx and killed a bb with it. Then I bought a Horton supermag Xbow that I killed a ton of deer with. Then in 2006 I got back into compounds and haven't looked back

CritterGitterToo

Central Ohio
My first bow was a Horton Super Mag crossbow. I think I got it in 1993. I later traded it to my uncle and it became his first bow. He has taken many nice deer with it including a doe this past fall.

My first bow was a PSE Nova that I got in 2000 I think.

Then , in 2008 I got my Bowtech Tribute which might be the last bow I ever own. I absolutely love it!