Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

What the hell is wrong with people.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bobcat

There’s more to this story... from what I’ve seen it looks like the bear was used for training hounds. The owner did an interview last night and was talking about the strict no-contact rules he has and how the bear is a member of their family. There are tons of pictures on Facebook of little kids petting and feeding it, and people playing with it like a pet. Something is fishy here...

http://www.wsaz.com/content/news/Mu...harges-in-bearbaiting-incident-457514863.html

Clay Showalter

Southern member northern landowner
Guilford County
Makes you wonder, I have meet the guy several times, he baled my field last year. I hope it turns out to be ok. In training the hounds, wouldn’t that scare the bear? I have no idea I am just asking

Last edited:

Bobcat

That's why you use the bear to train the dogs, so it doesn't scare them and they can learn the scent etc. Coonhunters do the same thing, and bird hunters keep pigeons to train dogs too. I'm sure the bear doesn't really enjoy it, but the original reports were they they were using the dogs to fight the bear (which, yeah, that would obviously be horrible), not using it to train the hounds to hunt.

Clay Showalter

Guilford County
That's why you use the bear to train the dogs, so it doesn't scare them and they can learn the scent etc. Coonhunters do the same thing, and bird hunters keep pigeons to train dogs too. I'm sure the bear doesn't really enjoy it, but the original reports were they they were using the dogs to fight the bear (which, yeah, that would obviously be horrible), not using it to train the hounds to hunt.

I fixed my post, I meant to say doesn’t it scare the bear? Would seem like abuse to me?

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Hey man don’t through all of meigs under the bus, not everyone grows pot or sells pills.

Lol

Wait did you just equate Meigs County with WV?

[emoji848][emoji848][emoji848]

Well, I have spent a ton of time in rural WV, as well as the finer "backwoods" sections of our great state. There's some fair comparisons out there and Meigs probably makes that list! rotflmao

Clay Showalter

Guilford County
I recommend this book to anyone, especially if you live in southern Ohio.

http://www.samquinones.com/books/dreamland/

Also I was on a trip to buy an old camper up around Columbus, talked to two different people and two different times, told them I was taking to Meigs County and they both said “Meigs County green”. The guy with me was like I thought you were crazy talking about that but I guess it is true.

Status
Not open for further replies.