Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

What kind of camera do you take with you on hunts?

Gordo

Athens County
My iphone just straight up sucks on any picture past 10 feet it seems.

Heres a pic from last year of a buck that was 30 yards away tops. Can hardly see him!

Gotta go shopping and at least get something better then that. I just know once i do that ill b ready to go bigger and better next year. $$$$$$$...

Schu72

Streetsboro
Planning to use my phone as a camera really cost me last year. After I shot my buck my phone was dead from being out in the sticks all day and "roaming". Buck of a lifetime and I din't have a functioning camera for in the field photos. Got a couple from my buddies blackberry, but very poor quality.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Lol, My hat is tight enough...but its a cute little set up!

They have at least 2 different setups. One is called the lid cam that clips to the underside of the bill. The other one I can't remember the name right off hand but it is a little bigger and fits on top of the bill if I remember right. Pretty cool concept and a cool way to give somebody a great first person view of the hunt.

matthewusmc8791

NE Ohio
Im kind of bias to Olympus... I have a old 725 with great optical zoom and i also use the toughboy 8mp... Im trying out a canon vid camera this season. hope to film my own hunt...

saddlepants

central Ohio
That would so work for my mounted shooting practice. One of the things thats important is optical follow through. Watching the target break essentially will make you a better shooter. This is a great tool to show yourself when you look away from the target. the camera dont lie!!

rgecko23

*Supporting Member*
Massillon, Ohio
yea but the cool thing with a Go Pro is you can hook it to the riser of your bow instead of your hat, and it doesnt mess with your shot at all. Its really light.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
If I was going to spend 150.00, I would spend a tad more and get a go pro..

Probably a way better camera, but the lid cam would actually be better for the shooting aspect and being able to follow the animal with just the natural movement of your head rotating with the view more naturally? I've never done any filming so I'm talking out of speculation I guess more so then experiance.... With the arm mounted camersa don't you move them with your hand? Seems like a lot would be going on at once with a self filming setup wouldn't it? I probably have a lot to learn don't I lol....

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
The go pro is a cool camera. The issue with these small hat type cams and even ones like the roscoby riser cam is low light conditions. They get very grainy like an hour before legal shooting is over. Or an hour after legal shooting time has started they begin to shoot. Ok footage... Basically you're missing prime time. They use sensors to sense the amount of light... Better cams like 400 dollar and up handheld hd cams use cmos processor chips for low light computing of film..

Just something to think about before you spend 175-250 bucks on a cam that will give you grainy video for two hours a day durring magic hour.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
The go pro is a cool camera. The issue with these small hat type cams and even ones like the roscoby riser cam is low light conditions. They get very grainy like an hour before legal shooting is over. Or an hour after legal shooting time has started they begin to shoot. Ok footage... Basically you're missing prime time. They use sensors to sense the amount of light... Better cams like 400 dollar and up handheld hd cams use cmos processor chips for low light computing of film..

Just something to think about before you spend 175-250 bucks on a cam that will give you grainy video for two hours a day durring magic hour.

Never thought about the lighting conditions..... Thanks for bringing that up Joe.... More research too accomplish.....

saddlepants

central Ohio
The vid I saw from inside a black blind was actually pretty good. Im sure its no pro but for those of us not interested in that I think its a great deal. The flashlight is integrated so you dont have to switch out and the possibilities of uses for this are endless...of course my husband has some ideas but Im not goin there