Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

What kind of camera do you take with you on hunts?

Gordo

Athens County
Ive been wanting a camera to lugg around the woods with me to take pics of some of the action i see on my hunts.

Ive tried with my iphone cam, but its a waisted effort.

What are some of you guys using?

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I just bought a camera from Best Buy this past June, right before my vacation to Myrtle Beach. It's made by Fujifilm, which isn't of course the most pricey or highest-quality camera, but I have no complaints with this one. The cool thing about it is it's 100% waterproof, dust-proof, and shock-proof... So it's made for the outdoors. I think it's capable of 12 or 14 megapixels, and takes HD video clips as well. All in all, it does what I want it too and I really like it.

Boone

*Supporting Member*
N.E. O-H-I-O
I carry a compact Nikon 12 megapixel camera in my pack. Even for a small camera, it takes great photos and easily fits into a pocket or pack. I can look at my game camera photos from the stand too when I first get up in the tree. I turn off the sounds to take pictures of deer or other amimals.

moundhill

Supporting Member
Hebbardsville..
JVC Everio S, it's a great camera with good zoom. I'd look for something that has good zoom, auto and manual zoom, and is good in low light. Camera arm wise, i gotta Gorilla Arm and it does decent. I'd go for Muddy though if i were to get a new one. Hope this helped a little.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I have a Panasonic TM900. I think that is the model. It is the newest camcorder they have out. Also takes stills. 14.2mp stills if memory serves correct. Just wish my computer was up to the task of editing the videos.

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
I carry a small Nikon digital camera for taking pics in stand. For filming, I carry a big ass Sony HD camcorder. I would suggest going with something smaller, but not compact. Manual focus is nice, as well as quick adjustments for shutter speed and the iris. Optical Image Stabilization is a must IMO, especially if you are free-handing. A camera arm with a good fluid head is a great addition, and not something I would skimp on if you want good video.

moundhill

Supporting Member
Hebbardsville..
I got my arm for around 45, but it depends on how profesional you want to be, cam arms can get really expensive if you look into some fancy muddy's. My camera was around 500, but on sale for cheaper for black friday. It all basically depends on how much you want to spend.

Gordo

Athens County
I got my arm for around 45, but it depends on how profesional you want to be, cam arms can get really expensive if you look into some fancy muddy's. My camera was around 500, but on sale for cheaper for black friday. It all basically depends on how much you want to spend.

At this point i really just want something to take a good photos of different things I see in the woods.

I'm sure the next thing Id want though is the camera arm/decent camera to be able to do it the right way. Not talking super professional set up.

Was thinking a couple hundred bucks.

Might opt for just a cheaper camera for 1-2 hundred, unless I can get something alot better for not a whole lot more $$$.

Anyone got a decent cam/film set up for under $400.00???

I carry a Canon Power Shot A2000 IS. A great little camera to carry in the woods. All photos I've posted on this forum that are not trail camera photos were taken with this camera. My signature photo is a self portrait I did one day while turkey hunting. I just held the camera at arms length and took a shot.

Buckslayer

*Supporting Member*
Jackson County

Do you just use your everio with the software that came with the cam? I seem to have lost mine and cant get any programs on my pc to recognize the .mod file format....I just bought adobe premier editing software so hopefully I can use it to edit and export the video with a .mpg or .avi extension.

moundhill

Supporting Member
Hebbardsville..
Yeah i didnt purchase any editing software, I try not to get TOO technical, as long as i catch moments from the hunt I'm happy. I'd like to get some software down the road though.

epe

Lancaster
Keep an eye on amazon or people upgrading and selling used on Craigslist. I need a new camera but I have no extra cash this year for hunting.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Old school baby!!!!!!