Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

what if?

at1010

*Supporting Member*
Too late for pumpkins I think. I do have some of them planted as well but those went in early.

Pick one, take it to the stand, bust it open. They love em.

When I was a kid I used to gather all the pumpkins from family and friends after halloween. I would then take them into the woods smash them up and pour some of that buck jam or something like that on top of them. The deer would tear it up! Unfortunately never when I was in the stand, atleast for a good buck!

Milo

Tatonka guide.
I think you think too much about it. You don't plant a food plot just to put in something different.

at1010

*Supporting Member*
I think you think too much about it. You don't plant a food plot just to put in something different.

This is the thing I agree with you, but I have not had enough experience to plant things that really draw in the deer. I have only had on my place plots in for two years, and they mostly are clover. I am trying to find out what others do, and try new things.

Buckmaster

Portage
If planting this fall I'd plant turnips, oats, mixed with white clover. The clover will take over next spring and you will have an pre-established Spring plot just in time for turkey season.

at1010

*Supporting Member*
If planting this fall I'd plant turnips, oats, mixed with white clover. The clover will take over next spring and you will have an pre-established Spring plot just in time for turkey season.

Thanks for the input buckmaster

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I like the clover with oats or rye idea. Could you imagine though if you had a dozen nice apple, crabapple or percimmon(SP?) trees though.:smiley_coolpeace:

at1010

*Supporting Member*
I have several apple/pear trees near the house. I plan to expand the orchard a bit to maybe 25 fruit trees in the future. I just know the deer will only visit them in the middle of the night when I am at the cabin, but I still like the idea of providing them with soft mass.

My farm should be logged here in a year or two, I plan on planting some wild crab apples and such in the logged areas to provide cover/food. Might make some deer harder to hunt, but should help the buck survival rate if they can get into an area they feel safe, and have food.

bowieoutdoors

*Supporting member*
The only problem with pumpkins is you would have to break them open for the deer to get into them.

Trust me, you don't need to break them open. They can get into them. I had three pumpkins in the yard for Halloween last year and the deer had their way with them. Until last year, I never realized just how much deer like pumpkins. I went and bought a few more just to feed the deer and they got into all of them on their own. Opening them definitely gets the smell out to them faster but with mine they just scraped the skin off with their bottom teeth until they got a hole opened up and then it was game on. Needless to say, I'll be picking up a few extra pumpkins around Halloween this year.