Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

what if?

at1010

*Supporting Member*
If you had a fourth acre next to a thicket and could only plant one thing in it what would you plant?

This is hypothetical of course! :smiley_arrogant:

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I'm going to assume we're talking food plots. A number of different fruit trees would be kick-ass... But for a plot, I would plant Buck Forage Oats or another cold-hardy oat variety. A mixture of a few different things is better, but if I had to plant just ONE thing it would be oats.

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
I'd do like the guy a couple years ago and put pot on it.:smiley_carnaval:

OOHHHH..... C'MON..... I'm not the only one thinkin it...

Seriously, i honestly dont know. I have no experience with food plots. But I definately would NOT put in beans or corn. So much of that around here already

Hoytmania

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gods Country
I'd do like the guy a couple years ago and put pot on it.:smiley_carnaval:

OOHHHH..... C'MON..... I'm not the only one thinkin it...

Seriously, i honestly dont know. I have no experience with food plots. But I definately would NOT put in beans or corn. So much of that around here already

I think you might be on to something Dante. A stoned deer would probably not react to string noise as quick as a sober one. LOL

at1010

*Supporting Member*
Well Cotty and JB im happy you both said that because I was thinking a mix of

Winter rye
Oats
and some type of brassica or pea

hows that sound?

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Can't go wrong with a smorgasboard.

I have a small area I planted and it is oats, brassica, turnips, and chicory. A strip of this and a strip of that. I'm not saying I'm an expert, becasue I'm not, but that's what i did. It's growing well and I'm optimistic of the results. I have two spots I did this in. One spot has a camera and the deer are visiting it pretty frequently. I'm not saying theyre grazing in it yet because it's not quite ripe yet, but they are hanging around.

Rutin

Ina Duck Blind
If you want something to come up this year oats would be a great choice. I have a quarter acre food plot along a creek bottom of clover but I may disc it under and try some oats around Sept 1st if the drought brakes over.

at1010

*Supporting Member*
I wanted to get some oats in the ground in about two weeks... is that a good time to plant the mix of stuff I listed above?

I have to skip out on the clover, I got about 90 percent clover, I need to change some shit up! haha

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Early to mid August would be pretty good for oats. Should put them just about right by opening day.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Wait until the end of August or early September for the oats. Plant them too early and they'll grow too tall... Deer like 'em when they're about 8" tall or less.

The turnips can be planted late July/early August. If this screws up your timing with the oats, you could always just plant them separately.

I've had really good luck planting a mixture of oats and rye. It'll grow on damn near anything... and the deer tear it up.

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Wait until the end of August or early September for the oats. Plant them too early and they'll grow too tall... Deer like 'em when they're about 8" tall or less.

The turnips can be planted late July/early August. If this screws up your timing with the oats, you could always just plant them separately.

I've had really good luck planting a mixture of oats and rye. It'll grow on damn near anything... and the deer tear it up.

Now you tell me!!!! Lol

at1010

*Supporting Member*
In that case jb could I just overseed oats and rye into turnips come late August/sept

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
In that case jb could I just overseed oats and rye into turnips come late August/sept

That will probably work, depending on how thick the turnips come in. Actually, I did that last season myself... My turnips came in pretty thin, so during the first week of September I broadcasted about 40# of oats into the open spots... no tilling involved, just threw it down on the ground. The oats came up just fine and filled the plot in nicely. A couple weeks into October I double-lunged a fat doe that had a mouth full of oats. :)

If your turnips come in thick, the oats may not get enough sunlight to really take off. I don't know, though... My experience is pretty limited. Milo has done his fair share of foodplotting, as have Buckmaster and several others. Maybe they can add their two cents here too.

at1010

*Supporting Member*
Pumpkins. I'd like to give them a try once and since this is a hypothetical, I figured why the hell not?!? :smiley_coolpeace:

I thought about this too, isnt it too late to plant pumpkins tho?

this time of year in this hypothetical scenario!