Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

What happened to youth sports?

Wmiller07

I just came from a wrestling club meeting where they want you to commit to two practices a week, two hours a piece plus a match every Sunday for 6 months! My kid is 6 years old. I don't know how you guys handle this stuff but im not committing my family to that much for a 6 year old.

Quantum673

Black Hat Cajun
Supporting Member
I just came from a wrestling club meeting where they want you to commit to two practices a week, two hours a piece plus a match every Sunday for 6 months! My kid is 6 years old. I don't know how you guys handle this stuff but im not committing my family to that much for a 6 year old.
Where you at wmiller? I have run a youth program for the last 10 years. We have 2 practices a week matches on Sunday. Season lasts 3 months basically the same as most all the other sports.
Only thing I can think that they may be doing different is if they are combining freestyle wrestling after the regular season. That would be crazy in my opinion. We have a few kids each year that continue with the freestyle but not many.

Wmiller07

I'm in Wooster. I could understand if he was older and something he loved doing but he's never even tried it.

Wmiller07

And that's for the younger kids. When they get older it's three nights a week of practice, plus open matches, plus Sunday matches.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Don't commit. There has to be another program which is a better fit. We eased into sports letting the kids try different things. Our son settled on soccer being his love. Around 4-5th grade we jumped from recreational league to club soccer. You will know if your kid is passionate and wants to take it to another level. You will see it in their drive. At 6yrs old. . . .I'd go with your gut. Screw that program. Pretty huge commitment for kid and parents at such a young age.

Quantum673

Black Hat Cajun
Supporting Member
Don't commit. There has to be another program which is a better fit. We eased into sports letting the kids try different things. Our son settled on soccer being his love. Around 4-5th grade we jumped from recreational league to club soccer. You will know if your kid is passionate and wants to take it to another level. You will see it in their drive. At 6yrs old. . . .I'd go with your gut. Screw that program. Pretty huge commitment for kid and parents at such a young age.
Yep. There has to be a program that will not be so drastic. Heck our program will let kids come try it out and see how they like it. If they enjoy it then they sign up and pay the registration fee. Only requirement I have is parents need to sign the waiver before they can try it out. Have to protect myself in today's world.

Wmiller07

Yep. There has to be a program that will not be so drastic. Heck our program will let kids come try it out and see how they like it. If they enjoy it then they sign up and pay the registration fee. Only requirement I have is parents need to sign the waiver before they can try it out. Have to protect myself in today's world.

That makes a lot more sense. And I agree the commitment is way too big. We won't be doing it. I am going to get him entolled in a martial art.

Wmiller07

That makes a lot more sense. And I agree the commitment is way too big. We won't be doing it. I am going to get him entolled in a martial art.

Quantum673

Black Hat Cajun
Supporting Member
Wmiller - was the meeting for Wooster Youth Wrestling? If so I did some checking for you. Looks like practices are 2 days a week and matches are Sunday. Season runs November to February and then optional after that for the open season. That is pretty similar to what we offer. Only difference is after the regular season if some kids want to continue training they go to a few other nearby clubs to workout. There are only a handful do that.

Wmiller07

It was a club not through the school. He got a flyer through the school so I went to the meeting not really knowing what it was.