Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

What Grunt Call??

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
I just bought the dual game calls grunt tube at the bowhunting supershow this year. I love the sound of it. I also have a Flextone with doe bleat, fawn bleat, and a snort wheeze tube. I carry both with me.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
There was a thread about new grunt calls last year. So I bought one also. On short lunch break now and would have to dig the call out later. I think either Jesse or Joe described the best call and I bought one and it sounds great. Even though I got lucky and tagged out early in 2013 and didn't need to use. LOL

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
X2 for the buck roar. I can't say much about any other ones because the buck roar is the only one I have ever owned. It has worked for me though so no need to switch.

Hoytmania

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gods Country
Another one for the buck roar.

Not saying that it was the call that did it, but my two biggest bucks where shot after blowing through one of those.

matthewusmc8791

NE Ohio
Did a search on true talker and it comes up as Hunter's Specialties??

This is a great topic because I've them work and I've seen them spook the heck out of deer.

I personally carry an assortment of calls.

My grunt calls I use the HS True talker and the Primos Hardwood Grunter.
The HS is great when the deer are close. Its not a very loud call, so even if they are close you cant blow it too hard. If the deer are at a good distance away or you doing a grunting and rattling sequence, the Hardwood Grunter is perfect cause it's pretty loud and it can carry pretty well through the woods.

Now the can calls, I've tried the Primos and the Flextone and they are similar, but I have never had any luck with them. I surely have spooked plenty of bucks using it as a last resort. Trying to get their attention and only doing the opposite.

Either way, try any call you buy and see what your deer do... Report back, cuz this is a great topic.

Hoytmania

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gods Country
There is a rubber band on the reed that is adjustable to different tones. I always keep mine on mature buck.

I very rarely use it though. If I do its because I know there is no chance at a shot and I want to try and get em closer for a shot. From my experience if you grunt at them and they don't come in you just gave your position away.