Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

What changes if any to the Deer regs would you recommend to the ODNR?

Carpn

*Supporting Member*
Wooster
I don't have anywhere where I see a lot of does, if I see multiple doe groups on a hunt I consider myself fortunate. The only folks seeing large doe numbers hunt large property with little hunting pressure.

No. We live here and we pay taxes here. If you don't live here and don't pay taxes here, then it is even more of a privilege to hunt here IMO. Hence why they can pay more...
What if you own land an your a non res??They pay taxs dont they? The fact that you are not willing to pay a extra 10 or 20$ for a license but your willing to make a non res pay 125 to 150$ more is pretty greedy IMO ..Your want extra revenue for land acquisition and educational efforts. But your not willing to chip in a LITTLE extra to benefit our beloved sports for years to come?..

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
What if you own land an your a non res??They pay taxs dont they? The fact that you are not willing to pay a extra 10 or 20$ for a license but your willing to make a non res pay 125 to 150$ more is pretty greedy IMO ..Your want extra revenue for land acquisition and educational efforts. But your not willing to chip in a LITTLE extra to benefit our beloved sports for years to come?..

You're barking up the wrong tree right now dude. I'm gonna bow out right now before I tear in to this/you. Putting words in my mouth and making blanket statements like the last one are a sure fire way to piss me off. So job well done.

And aren't you a resident?!? Jesus. It sounds like you live in Michigan...

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
If you wanna harp on NR fees omo then Start a new thread.. This one is about proposed changes to rescue ohios doe pop from the wrath of the dnr. Not the pricing.

Mike R

*Supporting Member*
Single shot guns. I wonder how many deer die a year from the guy that pulls the trigger as fast as he can. One shot most would take there time.

Hunter II

How many of you are laying off the does? The coyotes are really hammering our fawns in Monroe county so we didn't shoot any does last year on our small property. I believe this has led to more resident does and fawns this year.

epe

Lancaster
How many of you are laying off the does? The coyotes are really hammering our fawns in Monroe county so we didn't shoot any does last year on our small property. I believe this has led to more resident does and fawns this year.

We had the same problem with yotes in Perry county.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I thought it was a wish list for changes in ODNR regulations.

99% of the originals posters discussion was in regards to the dwindling deer numbers. Even providing stats as to the decline.. It is only logical he was asking for what changes one would recommend to the dnr in order to reverse said decline. Increasing nr fees or reducing the number of nr hunters will have little to no impact on doe population numbers. They are such a small subset of hunters their harvest is minute compared to the residents..

The topic was getting shifted from a discussion on what changes could be made to increase deer numbers.... To one complaining about nr hunter fees.. A completely diferent topic... Now if the op had started discussing harvest stats for res vs nr and asked what could be done about that then I would agree. But the intended topic looked pretty obvious to me.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia

My buddy killed a doe on opening day, his first. That may be the last doe we kill for a while. We only took one off their last year as well. The coyotes are definitely hurting us IMO. I have pics of on big male yote checking my corn like a buck checks scrapes. He's 50+ pounds easy and you know he could do some damage.

I'll be giving it my best efforts this winter to kill some yotes. The deer could use the back up!!!

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Oh, and in regard to that...

How about a bounty on coyotes? $5-10 a head. Need to find a way to support it financially, but that would help deer numbers IMO...

Darron

Dayton, Ohio

We didn't take a single doe last year on our 100+ acre property. I don't know how many the neighbors adjoining us took........ I read in a magazine a while back (maybe qdma mag??) to increase the deer pop on your property take 1 or less doe per 100 acres. To maintain the deer pop harvest 2-3 doe per 100 acres and to decrease the deer pop take 4 or more doe per 100 acres. This all varies from property to property. The most we ever take on our property in one year (doe) is 3. We hahve never taken more than 3 doe a year and most years we take 1 or less.

This year we had planned to take 1 or 2 doe during gun season since we didn't take any last year. The food plots are getting hammered and are basically eaten down to the ground which indicates to me heavy browsing. The corn (150#) is only lasting 7-10 days in the feeders. Pics are showing as many as 4-5 different doe at one time in the food plots and feeders.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
We didn't take a single doe last year on our 100+ acre property. I don't know how many the neighbors adjoining us took........ I read in a magazine a while back (maybe qdma mag??) to increase the deer pop on your property take 1 or less doe per 100 acres. To maintain the deer pop harvest 2-3 doe per 100 acres and to decrease the deer pop take 4 or more doe per 100 acres. This all varies from property to property. The most we ever take on our property in one year (doe) is 3. We hahve never taken more than 3 doe a year and most years we take 1 or less.

This year we had planned to take 1 or 2 doe during gun season since we didn't take any last year. The food plots are getting hammered and are basically eaten down to the ground which indicates to me heavy browsing. The corn (150#) is only lasting 7-10 days in the feeders. Pics are showing as many as 4-5 different doe at one time in the food plots and feeders.

Have your does remained grouped together the past couple of weeks? Are you seeing fawns with does still or fawn grouped up?

I ask because I have pictures of fawns running together, then 5 does by themselves with no fawns. It's the strangest thing I've seen and it has all been largely nocturnal...

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
400 acre property with no does taken in 5 years and I only have seen/pics of 4 does....period.

I like the idea of managing it by smaller sector or county. No way should sub 2k kill counties still be at 6 a year per person.

Beentown

Last edited:

epe

Lancaster
Have your does remained grouped together the past couple of weeks? Are you seeing fawns with does still or fawn grouped up?

I ask because I have pictures of fawns running together, then 5 does by themselves with no fawns. It's the strangest thing I've seen and it has all been largely nocturnal...

As of Friday we still had does with fawns in the daytime.

Then shouldn't residents pay a bit more as well?Double the Res lise price would still put the cost well within reach of everyone...IMO..

ohio res deer tags are higher than the most of the sorounding states. so no. never mind jesse got it spot on.

im not a fan of earn a buck. it does very little to lower the doe pop because most res hunters kill at least one doe anyway. it would also hinder out of state hunters.

Last edited: