Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Wet spring = Late planting

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Thanks for the update Sam. I saw some corn popping up in one field tonight. First I have seen anywhere in my area. Also happens to be just west of one of my properties I hunt. Interesting. Corn was in the fields to the south last year. Can't wait to see how this affects their travel patterns. Interesting to see how it affects my entry routes too?:smiley_chinrub:

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
I haven't checked around any of my hunting properties but a couple fields right outside of town have corn coming up. I can already seen some wash out happening in certain areas of the field though.

chetter74

got corn planted south and east of my food plot tonite, talked to my dad (a farmer) about what the late planting would do to the harvest he said its to early to tell lust have to see what the summer is like

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Seen corn start to pop up this morning on the nieghbors fields. Not sure what the guy is going to do about the field on my property yet. The one field to the south has winter wheat that has taken off pretty good not sure when that comes off or what he plans on planting in there after he does.

rgecko23

*Supporting Member*
Massillon, Ohio
Drove by my hunting property the other week...nothing planted. ust weeds about waist high. I want to plant a food plot there since he isnt doing anything.

What do you guys think is the best way about doing it now that all those weeds are in there. its about a 1/2 acre in between a bedding/staging area and the woods.

Huckleberry Finn

Yahooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Can you say CORN? As in, corn planted at the spot I'm focusing on this year. hell yea baby

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
Should be a pretty busy week for planting by the looks of things. The weather is gonna be hot & dry through next weekend and should start drying out some of those unplanted fields.

Huckleberry Finn

Should be a pretty busy week for planting by the looks of things. The weather is gonna be hot & dry through next weekend and should start drying out some of those unplanted fields.

Yup, the big (and smart) ones will run tomorrow morning and not shut the tractors off til its done. When its like this or during peak harvest, my buddy's family runs the tractors or combines 18 to 20 hours a day.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Drove by my hunting property the other week...nothing planted. ust weeds about waist high. I want to plant a food plot there since he isnt doing anything.

What do you guys think is the best way about doing it now that all those weeds are in there. its about a 1/2 acre in between a bedding/staging area and the woods.

One word, bro... glyphosate. Spray the shit out of it.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Here in clark they are lights on and rolling coal from the stacks... Turn and burn.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Here in clark they are lights on and rolling coal from the stacks... Turn and burn.

Seen a few doing that here as well. I haven't seen much action on the bean crop yet though. Has me wondering on my one property if he is even going to plant it this year suppose to be beans. Will definitely effect deer movement if some fields go without planting.

Another thing I'm wondering is if this low crop will increase the damage permits because of farmers wanting to protect the little bit of ground they did get planted..