Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Veteran Hunting opportunity for Jan 3-5

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
If you kill something you wanted mounted, I feel comfortable saying the fellas here on TOO would chip in to make that happen. So shoot a monster and consider the mount taken care from your brothers here at The Ohio Outdoors.

Guess i don't have to PM you then. I was going to suggest a collection. Jesse is 100% correct Dustin. I too, have little doubt the TOO brotherhood is one which would chip in to get this thing mounted.

Don't take this as any extra pressure. It is late season. There aren't any guarantees whether outfitted hunt, public land, or private land. In the late season any property is going to be tough. I don't know anything about this property or the owner so I am not knocking him. I am also not trying to be pessimistic. Just saying, there is nothing easy about late season hunting. You definitely have one advantage though: Your cheering section is going to be HUGE! We are all rooting for you Dustin! That said, best of luck and don't worry about how to get it mounted should the opportunity arise.

Hoytmania

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gods Country
Best Damn Website on the net, it is. Proud to be part of it.

Dustin you just worry about enjoying yourself and taking in all the nature while you are there. You have earned it.

woodyw333

Cincinnati Oh
This deal just keeps getting better! Dustin I hope you bag a Monster! I do know it was said that every buck that Travis (Land owner) took was in late season with a bow, and as you can see from his site he has some pretty good bucks up there. I wish you the best of luck! Now get out there and practice shooting that bow as much as you can. If you need a place to shoot you are more than welcome to come to my house to fling some arrows. Since you will be in a shadow blind I would get a piece of plywood and cut a window out of it and shoot through it to get used to it.. I also have a full shop at the house if anything needs tweeked or tuned before you leave.. You have my number call me if you need anything!

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
I'll be glad to chip in on the taxi fees! As long as you send me an autographed pic of yourself with the buck:smiley_cheer:

Dustinb80

#FACKCANCER
Supporting Member
S.W. Ohio
Im definitely excited for the trip. Its about a 4 hour drive but will be well worth it. I try and shoot as much as possible but with the cold weather, doesn't make it easy. I have been trying to find somewhere in doors locally with no luck. I really was not expecting anyone, let alone everyone to pitch in on this. That being said, WHEN I get a deer up there, I will do my everything I can to make it to Strouds next year and bring all the deer meat with me for the camp to use. I wanted to try and make it this year but was pretty new to this site. Being an Iraq vet, one of my "issues" is being in crowds of people and wasn't sure what to expect. Im starting to get to know you guys fairly well thru this site and figure by the time Strouds comes around again, Ill know quite a few of you guys a little bit better. Woody, I will be getting ahold of you after the first of the year to take you up on tuning my bow. Thanks again everyone. Yall have restored my faith in humanity. :smiley_clap:

Dustin Becker

GoetsTalon

Supporting Member
Walbridge oh
What a AWESOME site and bunch of guys!!!! Glad i found this site!!!!! What a great hunt that hasn't even started yet. Good luck and THANKYOU for your service TOO this great country!!!

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Dustin don't put a lot of undo pressure on yourself about this..... Go have fun meet and make some new hunting buddies and enjoy the experience.... If you score a good buck that's icing on the cake if not you're still on a hunt that most could only imagine.....

This place is a lot more than a place too just hang out and shoot the shit.... It's about people connecting with the things they love too do that most don't understand why..... We share the highs and the lows and will do for others that most other places just talk about because it's the right thing too do..... Where else would you hear about another persons kid bring stuck in a snow bank and being able too get hold of another member and said member drops what he's doing too go pull them out and clean up afterwards..... Oh and said Good Samaritan had just left the woods where they had narrowed a Boone and Crocket buck and this takes place three hours away from you.......... Yeah that's how this place rolls!!!!!

Looking forward too your experience Dustin.....

Dustinb80

#FACKCANCER
Supporting Member
S.W. Ohio
2 weeks left before I head out for this hunt. Planning on getting out and shooting some more in the coming week. Just hope the weather cooperates a little. Thanks again for all of the help and support. Like I said, I will keep you guys posted on how things are going.

Dustinb80

#FACKCANCER
Supporting Member
S.W. Ohio
**UPDATE**

I spoke with the ranch owner, Justin Hunt, last night. We are still on for this weekend. It looks like I will be getting there around 230-300 and going straight to the stand. Ill be hunting from a shadow hunter blind which I have never used before. He said his only concern is that bucks are starting to shed already. Good news is that it will be nice and cold this weekend up there. I have to take starter logs with me for the wood burning stove in the cabin. Ill be washing and storing all of my clothes and gear tonight when I get home. Ill keep everyone posted throughout the trip. Thanks again for the opportunity and all the help from fellow members. Any last pieces of advice?

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Dress right. If you are uncomfortable, you won't be able to stay on stand. If you get one, don't drag it out by the antlers. Relax. Enjoy yourself. Tell us what you see. Deer or no deer, this is an awesome opportunity for you to experience something different. Best of luck Dustin!