Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Verbal vs. Written Permission

bigten05

*Supporting Member*
knox county ohio
i have slips for every place but one the guy absolutley refuses to sign one, he says if someone stops me to come get him and he will take care of it. he has a major problem with the lawenforcment and is pretty much an outlaw. never been asked for my slips when stoped but you know theres gonna be one knuckle head warden that will make a big deal about it.

buckbuster217

*Supporting Member*
Byesville, Ohio
I have slips signed for the 4 properties I hunt on plus I have one from my uncle for our farm that we own, as its actually in his name, I have been checked by the GW on the property I hunt in Muskingum county, it was pretty much an obligatory check, asked if I had a license, tag and permission , I told him I did and asked if he wanted to see them , he said no that it was fine, we talked for a minute and that was that. It has helped me in the past when I have ran into other people that have been tresspassing and they start asking questions.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I have no written permission. A WO officer explained to me that they stopped enforcing the need to have it in writing, and it isn't an issue unless a landowner calls in on you... If you made 'em mad after they gave you permission and they decided to cause you grief, you'd be protected if you had it in writing. I'm not worried about that happening, but I suppose it could.

qdmman

I dont hand out permission slips when I invite guests on my property. I dont want any issues with people coming back saying hey here is my slip. Invite only and I must be there. If the warden comes I will deal with it.

On property I dont own I will hunt verbal or written. The only people u legally have to answer to are the owners law enforecent or their agent. Another hunter has no leverage to ask to c your slip unless they leased it.

meyerske

It is my understanding that there has to be a "victim" (i.e., a landowner who doesn't want you there) to press charges. Requiring written permission does make it very easy to prosecute an unwelcome visitor. For the landowner it is a good regulation, for the hunter, it is a pain but no big deal.