Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Turkey Season Live Update

Hoytmania

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gods Country
So far had a couple gobbles from roost. Saw first bird at 6:41. Solitary hen that took a half hour to make her way across the pasture. Cool and clamy this morning.

TripleA88

*Supporting Member*
Did a quick setup this morning where I shot my bird on opening morning. Around 6:15 I hear snoring directly behind me. I looked back and theres Joe, all tuckered out from a late night. Shortly after, I did a few soft tree yelps, maybe 10 minutes later I had hens sounding off in front of me. We got into a 15 minute cutting and yelping battle that got a gobbler to sound off in the distance on the other side of the creek. At times he sounded like he was moving in, then other times not. The hens flew down around us, moved off, and payed no attention to my decoys. This area is infested with hens.

Huckleberry Finn

I know of at least TOO birds that are dead this morning :smiley_clap:

And one of them makes me feel like a proud papa! :pickle:

Hoytmania

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gods Country
Well my finally tallly was 6 deer, 5 hens, and 1 gobbler. It was about 7:45 and I heard some gobbling in the woods at the other end of the pasture he finally showed himself with two hens. Never got closer than 200 yds. I saw the direction they where going and figured I should try and cut them off. As I was making my way to where they where going I spooked a lone hen and and they keyed in on her as she went into a drainage ditch. They followed her in there. They could go two directions out of the ditch and the only chance I had was to double back around circle the farm and hope they came out that direction. Once circled around they went out the other direction right to the farmers house. He feeds the birds and squirrels so I knew they where going to be occupied for a while. If they hit the house for feed then they will usually go back through the pasture to where I had the blind set up. So I circle back around the farm and get back in the blind. By about 9:30 I haven't heard anything and had done some calling with no response. After calling it a day was talking to the farmer and he said that Tom left his yard and went to where I was setup before I went back to the blind. :tantrum: Just couldn't win for losing today.

Going back in the morning though.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Did a quick setup this morning where I shot my bird on opening morning. Around 6:15 I hear snoring directly behind me. I looked back and theres Joe, all tuckered out from a late night. Shortly after, I did a few soft tree yelps, maybe 10 minutes later I had hens sounding off in front of me. We got into a 15 minute cutting and yelping battle that got a gobbler to sound off in the distance on the other side of the creek. At times he sounded like he was moving in, then other times not. The hens flew down around us, moved off, and payed no attention to my decoys. This area is infested with hens.

HEY! I was sleepy... I sat down, spit my dip out, drank my Capri Sun, and the last thing i remember was putting my face mask on... Next thing i know there is this loudmouth cutting hen about 5 feet in front of me and the suns coming up... :smiley_crocodile:

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
I hunted hard Friday in Ohio and Saturday and this morning in Michigan and could not get it done. I had gobblers around me all three days but could not draw them in. I was happy to see birds and hear gobbles for the first time. Here are the highlight pics.
DSCF4165.jpgDSCF4164.jpg:smiley_clap:

Huckleberry Finn

Just got off the phone with dad. 9 turkeys, including at least 1 strutter at my honey hole this morning behind the house.

Fuggity fugg fugg fuggit!

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Just sat down to pinch a loaf and hear a thunderous gobble through the open kitchen window. I jumped up and ran to the window and see that old boy in full strut 25 yards from my building. (Still holding the loaf back I mind you!) So I grabbed the Benelli and threw on my boots. I got to the building and was sneaking around the edge when a car stopped and spooked them. (Had a hen with him.) Apparently a dude in boxers and rubber boots holding a shotgun and stalking a turkey at 7:15 in the morning draws attention in these parts. Who knew? I'll kill that bastard before it's all said and done with!!!

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
Just sat down to pinch a loaf and hear a thunderous gobble through the open kitchen window. I jumped up and ran to the window and see that old boy in full strut 25 yards from my building. (Still holding the loaf back I mind you!) So I grabbed the Benelli and threw on my boots. I got to the building and was sneaking around the edge when a car stopped and spooked them. (Had a hen with him.) Apparently a dude in boxers and rubber boots holding a shotgun and stalking a turkey at 7:15 in the morning draws attention in these parts. Who knew? I'll kill that bastard before it's all said and done with!!!

Drop your deuce and get your camo on man!

That bird is killable this morning and chances are he won't go too far.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Drop your deuce and get your camo on man!

That bird is killable this morning and chances are he won't go too far.

Deuce is dropped, but I'm on the road already. Have a meeting with Dominion this morning regarding a sales point for our pipeline project. It's a make or break meeting, so I'd better not be late because I was chasing long beards in my undies! LOL!!!