Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Trip canceled

Mountaineer

Banned
WV
Had to cancel the early muzz at Shawnee. Thursday evening my buddy let his dog out to pee and something attacked him. We dont know what attacked him. Not sure if he's gonna make it... ImageUploadedByTapatalk1318773646.253143.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1318773706.357199.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1318773755.284392.jpg

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Sorry to hear it Mountaineer. I know you were looking forward to the hunt. Hope the dog heals up alright.

Mountaineer

Banned
WV
Thanks fellas,

I just talked to my buddy. He's at vet now.. The major problems are the puncture wounds that went through into body cavity. Infection is what they are trying to control.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Either a coyote or a domestic dog. Couldn't have been a coon or a fox the punctures are too far appart. Being in wv how's your bear population around his house. The width on those punctures look even a little too far appart to be a yote.

Hope the little fella pulls through. Did he have to go find it or did it limp back to the house like that.

Mountaineer

Banned
WV
Jack

He found it on his back patio. Somehow he got away from whatever attacked it. Obviously he was on his back because most puncture wounds are on his belly

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I was thinking bear as well given the spacing in the punctures, but I didn't want to guess. Not knowledgeable enough to make this guess.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Either a coyote or a domestic dog. Couldn't have been a coon or a fox the punctures are too far appart. Being in wv how's your bear population around his house. The width on those punctures look even a little too far appart to be a yote.

Hope the little fella pulls through. Did he have to go find it or did it limp back to the house like that.

Punctures look too far apart to me as well. I was thinking Great Horned Owl... perhaps? They have pretty big feet with nasty talons.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Punctures look too far apart to me as well. I was thinking Great Horned Owl... perhaps? They have pretty big feet with nasty talons.

Good Guess! On his side he does have three punctures high and one low. Perfect for a large owl.. Plus the lack of broken bones suggests it might not have been a bite attack with violent shaking... I know when my coon dog grabs a coon, all you can hear is bones crunching. Yep.. I change my opinion to bird of prey also.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Sorry to hear about your buddies dog as well. Hope the lil fellar get better soon. I also agree it being an owl or another bird of prey.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Good Guess! On his side he does have three punctures high and one low. Perfect for a large owl.. Plus the lack of broken bones suggests it might not have been a bite attack with violent shaking... I know when my coon dog grabs a coon, all you can hear is bones crunching. Yep.. I change my opinion to bird of prey also.

Those owls are some nasty sumbitches. When I was a kid and my dad raised pheasants, he use to set foothold traps around the perimeter for the coons. We caught a great horned owl on three separate occasions. Let me tell you, that sucker was MEAN! Let it go twice.... he never showed back up again after the third time, for some reason.... :smiley_chinrub:

I don't know if there are any eagles near where your buddy lives, Mntr... but I've seen those go after dogs too. My grandma lives up by Sandusky Bay, and I watched one swoop down and try to snatch one of her chihuahas out of the front yard. The fact that you said this happened in the evening leads me to believe it was a great horned owl, though.

Last edited:

Mountaineer

Banned
WV
Thanks fellas,

Good group of guys on this site.

I will get out around the 26th of October with the Bow. I have No idea where I'm hunting lol. Gotta scout in 1 day to narrow things down lol. That's why it's very difficult for me with the bow. Bow hunting is about precision.

Anyhows..the pooch is looking better.

Thanks guys