Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

TREX decking

Dustinb80

#FACKCANCER
Supporting Member
S.W. Ohio
Does anyone have any experience with TREX decking? Wife and I are looking into it. I've got someone coming out next Tuesday to take measurements and discuss options.

I used TREX decking when I had my deck redone about 10 years ago and won't have to replace it in my lifetime. I'm also redoing my front porch this summer and will use the same material. The only issue I've seen is we choose a textured type which can hold dirt, but hit it with the power washer and it looks new.

Dustinb80

#FACKCANCER
Supporting Member
S.W. Ohio
I used TREX decking when I had my deck redone about 10 years ago and won't have to replace it in my lifetime. I'm also redoing my front porch this summer and will use the same material. The only issue I've seen is we choose a textured type which can hold dirt, but hit it with the power washer and it looks new.

So overall you are happy with it? Any fading, warping etc? How does it do in the winter with snow and ice? How does it do in the summer in direct sunlight? Does it get unbearably hot?

Buckmaster

Portage
So overall you are happy with it? Any fading, warping etc? How does it do in the winter with snow and ice? How does it do in the summer in direct sunlight? Does it get unbearably hot?

All around a good product and I'm satisfied. I use a plastic snow shovel on it so not to scratch it. Mine is charcoal gray and during the summer it does get a little hot in bare feet. Socks and Crocks are used in lieu of bare feet on those hot days of summer. Make sure you use all stainless fasteners too.

I've had no issues with fading or warping and the deck is exposed to full sun all day. We got a darker gray and it can get warm. I shovel the snow off until it gets too deep to mess with and the material is scratch resistant. It will not hold up to a 45-70 round but that's another story.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
I have used most brands and they are all very similar. I haven't had any issues with staining from Aztek. You need to follow manufacture instructions for center on center spacing. It is REALLY flexible up/down. No fading issues yet. Scratches can be an issue but it would normally have to be severe. I'll be using it for myself personally.

Pool I did last summer...

Reactions: Dustinb80
Well I certainly have time to hear that story, by all means...

Three seasons ago my father in law gave me a like new Rossi 45-70, cheap scope and rings mounted. I fired 3 rounds @ 15 yards and hit paper, good so far, so I set up the shooting bench on the deck for my 100-yard dial in. Fired 3 rounds, 1st round was low right, 2nd/3rd rounds didn’t hit paper. Inspected the scope/rings and found the rear ring had broken below the scope tube. Cussed a little and swapped out the scope/rings and had it zeroed with 8 rounds. When I took down the shooting bench I noticed a 1/2” indent with a 4” crease in a section of TREX that is part of the elevated seating benches surrounding the deck. First thought was WTF (point of aim was good, point of impact not so much), 2nd thought was the wife is going to be pissed. I somehow forgot to inform her of the incident, but she found it about a week later. My second thought was accurate.

Reactions: Isaacorps