Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Treestand setup/prep poll

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
Reading some of the posts I've seen some guys have had stands hung for a couple months now and some have yet to get any hung. Me personally, I like to have mine up no later than the first week of July with shooting lanes trimmed so the trimmed branches are dead by fall. I had most of mine done by June this year with the exception of a ladder stand I bought and set up a few weeks ago. So who has stands ready to go, when did you get them up, and who still has to get them in the tree?

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Up and ready usually last week of July, first week of August..... Was a little late this year but had lots of help when I needed it....

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Over half are still up from last year. They have been checked as I checked cards or shed hunted or both. Still have 3 sets to hang. Later than I would like. Been a busy year.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I have 2 Millenniums to hang yet, but sticks and ladders are in place. I'll be finishing up lane clearing this weekend. I like to be done about now, so I'm on pace.

JOHNROHIO

Participation Trophy Winner
Haven't done squat! I'll get to it soon though. Been to busy fishing to think bout deer all that much.

Carpn

*Supporting Member*
Wooster
None here. May get a couple hung the beginning of sept at some point . Maybe anyway. I do a lot of hang and hunt or climber hunting but got a couple spots I've been meaning to get a hang on in. Seems to work out for me .

Last edited:

Maxxis31

Deer wood's
yup all set here, 6 stand sets 3 blind sets, should be good for the season, i like to be done by the second week of august myself, now i can just concentrate on the 3-d targets and get dialed in to make that perfect kill shot, LOL.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
None here. May get a couple hung the beginning of sept at some point . Maybe anyway. I do a lot of hang and hunt or climber hunting but got a couple spots I've been meaning to get a hang on in. Seems to work out for me .
What are some of the spots and scenarios that you like to hang and hunt?

Carpn

*Supporting Member*
Wooster
Mainly recent sign or recent intel. Plus ya can adjust a little this way or that to accommodate the wind . Obviously there are certain spots that just scream hunt me and you want to put a hang on up . But by having a hang on there it's easy to over hunt a stand . I rarely hunt the same tree more than a couple times in a season .
This yr it'll be a little different tho cause I finally have one small property to myself and do plan on putting a couple sets in there so I can slip in and out ...but they are gonna be spots with great entry and exit .

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
I plan on using that technique this year since I have the lone wolf sticks and M100U now. I have a climber but it's not comfy at all.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Mainly recent sign or recent intel. Plus ya can adjust a little this way or that to accommodate the wind . Obviously there are certain spots that just scream hunt me and you want to put a hang on up . But by having a hang on there it's easy to over hunt a stand . I rarely hunt the same tree more than a couple times in a season .
This yr it'll be a little different tho cause I finally have one small property to myself and do plan on putting a couple sets in there so I can slip in and out ...but they are gonna be spots with great entry and exit .
Jake nailed it. For me, I found over the years that I would overhunt a particular stand simply because it was "convenient." The stands that I hung early and invested a lot of time in would get hunted way too much, even if I knew they weren't in just the right spot, because I was too lazy to undo all that work. Nowadays I scout as I go and hang/hunt as I go. Less investment in a spot and I'm more likely to tweak it as needed. Now, I'm certainly no big buck assassin by any means so take it for what it's worth. I do think I've become a more efficient deer hunter after employing these tactics though.

Fullbore

South Eastern Ohio
I have to say that I agree with both Jake and Jim. I don't go on a hanging spree as such. I usually hunt pinch points and die bedding areas. So I usually hang and hunt most of my sets too.