Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Trail Cam Pic Forum

Sgt Fury

Sgt. Spellchecker
I've been kicking this idea around for a while now and want to know your thoughts. Many times in the past guys have expressed reluctance to post some of their better trailcam pics out of fear that someone may see them and correlate the screen name to find out where the deer was. I get that as this is the internet aftetall. I'm thinking about creating a trail can picture forum for members only then restricting it based on a membership trait. Nothing grandiose say maybe members with over 100 posts, or registered over one year ago, or with 50 likes. Call it contributing member trail can pics or something.

I realize this may suck for the lurkers who don't post often and just read but the priority is content generation and making people feel comfortable with posting them. There will still be the regular trail cam pic section for all to see even unregistered guests. I'd like to hear everyones opinion though.
What’s the status on this? I have a couple decent ones I’d share. I’m sure there are others that would, and you’re always gonna have some that never will. I don’t blame them but it would be nice to see some really nice trail cam pics that others have gotten over the years. Maybe even have a vote at the end of the year and rank the top five pics. You could even have two categories, one for big bucks and another for unusual pics....like a bobcat carrying a rabbit or a Sasquatch pic....

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I think the best idea was an anonymous thread or even an anonymous forum where I can make individual threads with pics that people send to Jesse or I. That way people can send us pics as the summer or season progresses and keep it updated.

Reactions: Isaacorps
I think the best idea was an anonymous thread or even an anonymous forum where I can make individual threads with pics that people send to Jesse or I. That way people can send us pics as the summer or season progresses and keep it updated.
I think that is the best idea. Only downside for you and Jesse is it may look like a funeral procession following you when you leave to hunt after posting all of those bucks. Lol.

Reactions: Isaacorps

Fletch

Supporting Member
I don't know... Is it worth the extra effort??? Snice all my pics are in Jersey or Illinois I'll post as always.. Maybe once I get a place to huntil in Ohio I'll worry aboUT it... Only one cam out so far and it's in Illinois

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
I don't know... Is it worth the extra effort??? Snice all my pics are in Jersey or Illinois I'll post as always.. Maybe once I get a place to huntil in Ohio I'll worry aboUT it... Only one cam out so far and it's in Illinois
There's quite a few guys that don't post TC pics because of lurkers, myself included. I'd be more inclined to if it was anonymous. My screen name is my nick name from high school, so it wouldn't be very hard to figure out who I am, and even easier to follow my truck around town in November to figure out where I'm hunting.

Fletch

Supporting Member
But.... I know where your hunting and without permission I wouldn't hunt there... I thought Ohio has stiff punishments for trespassing???

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
But.... I know where your hunting and without permission I wouldn't hunt there... I thought Ohio has stiff punishments for trespassing???
I have more than one farm to hunt, the one you were at I'm not worried about, the landowner has turned down guys wanting to lease it on several occasions. The other spots I could possibly get screwed out of very easily, all someone has to do is flash a wad of cash.

Fletch

Supporting Member
So true..... Had it happen to me before.... I actually had a guy waiting by my truck one night to see if it was me... I sat in the woods till he left, was late for dinner that night.... LOL... Hey do you know what guys would do to know where that huge bear was I was hunting... I was always watching my rear view mirror, and tried to never park in the same spot...

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
So true..... Had it happen to me before.... I actually had a guy waiting by my truck one night to see if it was me... I sat in the woods till he left, was late for dinner that night.... LOL... Hey do you know what guys would do to know where that huge bear was I was hunting... I was always watching my rear view mirror, and tried to never park in the same spot...
Yeah it's crazy anymore. I'm glad the all my spots are off the road and nobody can see my truck.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Anonymous or not, will the uploaded pictures still appear in Google searches?

Yeah but without screenname to tie them back to the image is worthless to anyone looking to snipe a spot.

But if we did it the other way... with member "restrictions" on a thread... would they still appear in Google and could anyone trace the image back to TOO (and subsequently get a username)?

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
But if we did it the other way... with member "restrictions" on a thread... would they still appear in Google and could anyone trace the image back to TOO (and subsequently get a username)?

Your assumption is cotrect because Google wouldn't have the appropriate rights to view and subsequently index the threads. Search spiders are treated as guests.

Fletch

Supporting Member
Or the white F150 with all the Sasquatch call decal's.... Hey Bob did you see that white F150 go by with all the Sasquatch decals??? You mean the one with the vapor trail??? Yeh that one... Quick do a U-turn and follow him, no problem, I can smell the vapor trail....

Reactions: Dustinb80 and "J"

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
Or the white F150 with all the Sasquatch call decal's.... Hey Bob did you see that white F150 go by with all the Sasquatch decals??? You mean the one with the vapor trail??? Yeh that one... Quick do a U-turn and follow him, no problem, I can smell the vapor trail....
No decals on it as of right now, the cap covered em up.

It's funny reading this as this is exactly how Diablo and I got to know each other when I recognized a buck he had posted. Come to find out his dad's place is only a couple miles away and that buck would end up there by November and return to our place late winter through October. I was reluctant to post pics of him for a variety of reasons back then, including recent trespassers and a sudden increase in people asking for permission to hunt. A hidden forum based on over-all contribution to the site would be a good idea. Part of why you would post pictures like that is for others you know and respect to comment on them.

bonecollecter

Tuscarawas Co
Has anyone actually had an issue with posting a pic of a nice buck and then someone saw the pic and moved in on the deer and shot it? Do people know where you hunt? How do they know where the deer is unless you tell them. Do all the hunting shows on TV have an issue with people moving in on their properties? Everyone on this site has a username that isn't their own name and you don't have to put where you live or where you hunt so why is this such a big issue? Just some questions i thought of.