Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Trail Cam Pic Forum

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I've been kicking this idea around for a while now and want to know your thoughts. Many times in the past guys have expressed reluctance to post some of their better trailcam pics out of fear that someone may see them and correlate the screen name to find out where the deer was. I get that as this is the internet aftetall. I'm thinking about creating a trail can picture forum for members only then restricting it based on a membership trait. Nothing grandiose say maybe members with over 100 posts, or registered over one year ago, or with 50 likes. Call it contributing member trail can pics or something.

I realize this may suck for the lurkers who don't post often and just read but the priority is content generation and making people feel comfortable with posting them. There will still be the regular trail cam pic section for all to see even unregistered guests. I'd like to hear everyones opinion though.

Reactions: Spencie

Sgt Fury

Sgt. Spellchecker
I think that some people won’t post a trail cam pic of a good buck even after they kill it, because even though that deer is gone, the area has good genetics and they just don’t want to risk others finding “their”spot. Others will post good pics because they are confident that others won’t be able to access their spot. Then there are people like myself, who will post it without blinking because we don’t fully understand how you can find my location by just a picture(computer illiterate). I do disable the location services when taking pics in the field with my cell phone.

Reactions: Fletch

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I like the idea, but I think it should be more restrictive. Maybe just people that the administrators and/or long term members approve.

I wasn't thinking it should be exclusive but rather screen individuals through committed contribution. For example the nosey neighbor down the road who wants to peep your trail cam pics isn't going to register and put up 100 posts just to do it. It needs to be an obtainable goal so that people who want to contribute can achieve it without subjective approval. If its exclusive then I fear it will be an arbitrary process construed as a good ole boys club.

Something that most may not know is our new media album system allows privacy controls. You can create an album and upload pictures then only the members you specify can view it. You can set it to registered members only, everyone, just you, or only members you specify. Those people can then watch the album and if you upload new pics they will get an alert. So in a way you can do exactly what you're describing and set it to exactly who you want.

Reactions: Fletch and cspot

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I think that some people won’t post a trail cam pic of a good buck even after they kill it, because even though that deer is gone, the area has good genetics and they just don’t want to risk others finding “their”spot. Others will post good pics because they are confident that others won’t be able to access their spot. Then there are people like myself, who will post it without blinking because we don’t fully understand how you can find my location by just a picture(computer illiterate). I do disable the location services when taking pics in the field with my cell phone.

You are correct in your identification of the types of individuals. I have always thought it far fetched that people can figure it out unless you have a very specific username, even then it would be difficult for someone to figure out exactly where you're hunting. It is however a real concern that some have that prevents them from posting pics. For people like us who don't really care the standard forum will always be around to post in.

I wasn't thinking it should be exclusive but rather screen individuals through committed contribution. For example the nosey neighbor down the road who wants to peep your trail cam pics isn't going to register and put up 100 posts just to do it. It needs to be an obtainable goal so that people who want to contribute can achieve it without subjective approval. If its exclusive then I fear it will be an arbitrary process construed as a good ole boys club.

Something that most may not know is our new media album system allows privacy controls. You can create an album and upload pictures then only the members you specify can view it. You can set it to registered members only, everyone, just you, or only members you specify. Those people can then watch the album and if you upload new pics they will get an alert. So in a way you can do exactly what you're describing and set it to exactly who you want.
I did not know that.

Iowa_Buckeye

Smartest person here
Linn County Iowa
If folks are that concerned about sharing pics publicly, I do not know if that format would prompt them too.

If folks just want to show off a pic but remain unknown, maybe have them send pics to a 'trusted/non-advocate' member who then posts them under an 'anonymous trail cam pic' thread.

There was a thread on a forum out here last year that did this and it blew up with some crazy big deer. It was fun to follow.

I'd gladly volunteer to post pics for members who would want to remain unknown. As I'm sure as hell too far away to come hunt them!!

If folks are that concerned about sharing pics publicly, I do not know if that format would prompt them too.

If folks just want to show off a pic but remain unknown, maybe have them send pics to a 'trusted/non-advocate' member who then posts them under an 'anonymous trail cam pic' thread.

There was a thread on a forum out here last year that did this and it blew up with some crazy big deer. It was fun to follow.

I'd gladly volunteer to post pics for members who would want to remain unknown. As I'm sure as hell too far away to come hunt them!!

Actually that would be pretty neat to do. We have all seen your trail cam pics and if anything I think we would probably make the drive to hunt your place. LOL.

Reactions: Iowa_Buckeye

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member

Very interesting concept. I like it. Simple yet effective.

Reactions: Iowa_Buckeye

Fletch

Supporting Member
I agree with Sgt. FURY as many people don't even share pics of trail cameras or deer they have harvested for fear of others finding their spots... Kinda sucks as I like to see pics and like to share pics... I know I won't take a pic with the cell phone where I bear hunt.... But really doesn't matter as DENTURE MAN wont let us hunt bears while hes in office... As for Big Deer in Ohio everyone knows they come from Stark County.....

Reactions: Sgt Fury

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
I agree with Sgt. FURY as many people don't even share pics of trail cameras or deer they have harvested for fear of others finding their spots... Kinda sucks as I like to see pics and like to share pics... I know I won't take a pic with the cell phone where I bear hunt.... But really doesn't matter as DENTURE MAN wont let us hunt bears while hes in office... As for Big Deer in Ohio everyone knows they come from Stark County.....
Stark is where it's at, Rich. I hear columbiana is trying to catch up though.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
I'd like to see a minimum post count on this if it's going to happen. I'm not sharing TC pics with someone that registered over a year ago but only lurks.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
I think the minimum post count limit would be a good way to go. That would cut down on the lurkers and the trollers looking for their neighbors cam pics from finding the better deer on cam lol.

Reactions: Fletch