Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

tracking dogs

huntnfool

Thornville
dog training

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Im getting a new lab pup in couple weeks. Was wandering if labs are good deer tracking dogs? I know there water fowl dogs but was just curious. If so what are tips for training these dogs to track the blood trail?

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Does it have a nose? Is it trainable? Sure you can use it. Some dogs are better than others, but I would say a lab would not be the worst choice by any means.

Do yourself a favor and save any blood and livers out of deer you or friends kill this year. Freeze it for training.

This will get you started. Lots more to learn myself but this is a good starting point. Training to track the interdigital scent is ideal but starting with some blood tracks along with basic obedience is not bad either.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
IMO a Lab could be a fantastic blood tracking dog. Labs have a great nose. Matter of fact, there's a lot of law enforcement K9 units that use Labs these days for sniffing out drugs and/or explosives. It's all about the training...

huntn2

Hudson, OH
Should be able to train it. My MIL does Search and Rescue with one of her labs. Dog grabs the persons scent and tracks them down.

I would do what Phil suggested with the blood.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
My uncle trains his dachshund many ways, but using fresh blood and organs is a big part of his training repertoire. I don't really know the specifics... But I do know that he said he gives the dog a small piece of liver or heart when she reaches the goal... like a reward.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Here is where liver or heart comes in handy. Say you have a dog like a beagle. They always have their nose to the ground (at least ours does.) Now take a GSP like I have in Hank. Often he will wind it. His nose is to the ground often, but he also will stop and throw his nose in the air and look side to side while filling his nostrils at times. This is "okay" but not ideal. When all else fails and you are drawing straws looking for a starting point, this might help if you are downwind to allow him to work back towards the deer. Problem is, you want them to follow the hooves and blood, not just get downwind and make their way to the deer. The liver helps in training because by putting a little slice of liver on the training track it gives them a reward for keeping their nose down. Not to mention the fact that liver blood is a strong smell and the dogs LOVE it for a treat. lol

Outdoorsfellar

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I have my dog multitask. If he's not tracking, he's scouting for me.......

Unfortunately, the only videos I get are of other dog's asses.....lol

Diane

*Supporting Member*
Newark
Hilarious! And your dog looks suspiciously like the one that knocked up one of my Goldens. :smiley_chinrub:

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I have a chocolate lab and while his eye sight sucks, he can smell a mouse fart at 100 yards. I have no doubts I could have trained him to track deer. I watched this and it could be a better video, but it gives you an idea of how to start...

[video=youtube;5I7mzdLfNO4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5I7mzdLfNO4[/video]